Controller Cabinet Ideas using an additional aquarium stand

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning to build a new controller cabinet, and use a second aquarium stand as the base to match as close as possible to a RSR250. Looking for some ideas what people use as far as an aquarium stand. What I found so far was as follows all in the 40-45 gallon range stand.

JBJ 45 Stand
Imagintarium 40 gallon
Waterbox
aqua worx aquarium stand

Anyone use one of these or something similar, would greatly appreciate some pictures.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, most aquarium stands are not made in an optimal shape for mounting controllers. There is excessive depth, and not enough space on the rear panel.

I would suggest looking for a more standard cabinet series in White, such as the IKEA Besta.

Millwright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own. You can easily make one that will match.
I made mine for my ATO.

84FFD3F7-3019-4691-81F4-06CF98E9CD14.jpeg

OP
OP
ChadmRoman

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, most aquarium stands are not made in an optimal shape for mounting controllers. There is excessive depth, and not enough space on the rear panel.

I would suggest looking for a more standard cabinet series in White, such as the IKEA Besta.
The reason why I was thinking depth was to use the back of the cabinet for all the power bricks, what did you do to hide all these? Currently these are just mounted on the wall behind the unit.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ChadmRoman I’m using an aquarium stand for mounting my electronics in the cabinet. As a big plus I’m using the top of this very same stand as a place for my water change station. Previously I had a furniture grade IKEA style cabinet for my electronics mounting but the top was only rated to hold 35 pounds. So I bought a Red Sea Reefer 170 stand to match my Reefer 250 system. The RS 170 will hold the 200+ pounds of water for my auto water change station. Click on my Build Thread badge beneath my username to see my build thread. I have most of the electronics setup in my cabinet but I haven’t started on the water change station yet.

Mitch

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White or black?

if white, ikea besta is a good choice. If black though the besta cabinet isn’t a good match, it’s dark brown wood grain. They do have small kitchen cabinets that come in many sizes and are customizable, and come in all colorsand finishes. Might be worth checking out.

The cabinets you have listed will work fine in theory but I think way overpriced.

OP
OP
ChadmRoman

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ChadmRoman I’m using an aquarium stand for mounting my electronics in the cabinet. As a big plus I’m using the top of this very same stand as a place for my water change station. Previously I had a furniture grade IKEA style cabinet for my electronics mounting but the top was only rated to hold 35 pounds. So I bought a Red Sea Reefer 170 stand to match my Reefer 250 system. The RS 170 will hold the 200+ pounds of water for my auto water change station. Click on my Build Thread badge beneath my username to see my build thread. I have most of the electronics setup in my cabinet but I haven’t started on the water change station yet.

Mitch
Thanks for this, your build is freaking electronic heavy, and definitely gave me some good ideas how to proceed. I thought about using a reefer stand, just wasn't keen on the opening on top since I wasn't placing anything on top. Thinking though an aquarium stand is the way I want to go, just now need to pull the trigger.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this, your build is freaking electronic heavy, and definitely gave me some good ideas how to proceed. I thought about using a reefer stand, just wasn't keen on the opening on top since I wasn't placing anything on top. Thinking though an aquarium stand is the way I want to go, just now need to pull the trigger.
@ChadmRoman which is why I’ll use this tray on the stand and put the water containers into it with an Apex leak detection sensor in the tray. The way it is with just about everybody they have tanks with water on their stands with electronics in the cabinet so it’s the same thing. Picture.
4ED29CAA-33DA-4E8F-9832-B02854CD66F5.png

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Other.

Back