Controller for 65gal reef build??

Dave Splain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok fellow reefers, I am going to be setting up a 65 gallon reef tank in a few months and I believe good prep=less problems down the road. I have never had a controller on any of my tanks in the past however I have read how they make many reefers lives easy. I would like it to control lighting, temp, wave pumps, protein skimmer and possibly refugium lighting and dosing in the future. I have worked with/on PLC's (primarily Allen Bradley) in factory settings, though don't be afraid to speak basic to me, lol. So here is my question what are you all using Neptune Systems, Digital Aquatics and so on?? What do I have to look forward too and watch out for?

Thank you very much for your time and information, it is appreciated!!

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently cycling my 50g cube with my first controller, so I don't have a ton of experience with them. That being said, I picked up an Apex classic and have been very happy with how easy it is to use and how flexible it is. With a radion, mp40, and varios pump, I hardly even have to touch equipment anymore. I would definitely recommend it.

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, right now, it's just not worth considering anything but an Apex.

While the Reef Keeper is much cheaper, it feels like Digital Aquatics has kinda given up, they're website is regularly out of date and I've heard horror stories of customer service (never tried personally).

In a few years the eKoral controller or some of the other newcomers to the market might be worth it. But if you're buying a controller today, just get an Apex. They just work and you have a ton of flexibility in programming/modifying them.

The tough decision is choosing between the Classic and the Apex (newest one). If I had it to do all over again, I'd get the newest one even though it's quite a bit pricier. I'm sure the Trident tester is just the first of many things to come that are only supported by the newer Apex.

OP
OP
Dave Splain

Dave Splain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently cycling my 50g cube with my first controller, so I don't have a ton of experience with them. That being said, I picked up an Apex classic and have been very happy with how easy it is to use and how flexible it is. With a radion, mp40, and varios pump, I hardly even have to touch equipment anymore. I would definitely recommend it.
Are you planning on controlling your lights through the controller??

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on controlling your lights through the controller??

Yup, it's incredibly easy with my radion. It took 2 minutes to set it up and it's fully adjustable through my computer or iphone at any time. I even have my fuge light hooked up to it and it automatically turns it off if the tank hits 80.5 degrees (hasn't happened, but when i tested it out it worked perfectly). Having always been super low tech, the apex seriously makes this easy.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 25.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 55 24.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back