Pros of having complete wifi control

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I thought having a controller that allows you to change settings from anywhere in the world, e.g., flow, dosing, light, etc., was nonessential, I'm starting to see the light. Leaving for travel and didn't 100% finish my tank prep before leaving. ALK was dropping a bit, so would be ideal to up the AFR dosing before I left. Le sigh. Will have to adjust it when I get back at the end of the week.

I can't think of any Cons to having these types of controllers, except perhaps added cost.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're serious about your system and don't have a controller, you just need to get one.
The things I've learned from having my Apex are immeasurable. Imagine having a tank and never knowing for sure what's happening and never understanding the behavior in relation to specific inputs.

And the funny thing is, now that I know what I know, I also know I need automated testing and control as well which is my next step. I didn't come this far to not go all the way. I want my tank to be stable and SURVIVABLE from any failures on the part of equipment or myself. Let's face it, we all know everything until we don't...

You can create all kinds of failsafes and exceptions in the Apex to not allow something dumb to happen too once you learn about it and how everything works.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're serious about your system and don't have a controller, you just need to get one.
The things I've learned from having my Apex are immeasurable. Imagine having a tank and never knowing for sure what's happening and never understanding the behavior in relation to specific inputs.

And the funny thing is, now that I know what I know, I also know I need automated testing and control as well which is my next step. I didn't come this far to not go all the way. I want my tank to be stable and SURVIVABLE from any failures on the part of equipment or myself. Let's face it, we all know everything until we don't...

You can create all kinds of failsafes and exceptions in the Apex to not allow something dumb to happen too once you learn about it and how everything works.
I'm beginning to see the merit in at least having a system that reports information to you, and even better if you can make adjustments from afar. I'm still not on board with the controller making its own adjustments to things like dosing, but I understand that is all tunable. I've started checking out the major controller brands. Currently, my system is running through a series of wifi outlets controlling pumps and peripheral equipment, redundancy in heating, and manual testing. Wouldn't mind a daily automated ALK test, though...

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand, it seems none of our reef gear gives a second option for control. So no internet = no access or control

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand, it seems none of our reef gear gives a second option for control. So no internet = no access or control
Yes, that was the problem with me Reef Factory doser. Wouldn't stay connected to wifi, so I couldn't even make adjustments sitting right next to it. Now I just set my laptop wifi the doser's access point to make adjustments, which means the device drifts a bit (e.g., clock gradually is off by a few minutes) until I manually reset it.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that was the problem with me Reef Factory doser. Wouldn't stay connected to wifi, so I couldn't even make adjustments sitting right next to it. Now I just set my laptop wifi the doser's access point to make adjustments, which means the device drifts a bit (e.g., clock gradually is off by a few minutes) until I manually reset it.
Hmm.. I'll look into this. I use a alkatronic, had no internet for a month after hurricane Ian. I couldn't gain access and would Un plug the doser every other day to reduce dose. I love me alkatronic but was furious that this thing connects to my router(as does my laptop and phone) and I couldn't get in directly without internet access

Edit.. was referring to my dosetronic. Both have the same issue, but dosing control is more important than auto testing

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back