Controller - Single Point of failure?

niccumec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting a new system from scratch and interested in the full suite of GHL products.

Profilux 4 Mega | 2x Mitras LX 7206 | 4x Versia Flow 6 | Versia Stream Starter | 2x Maxi 2.2 EXT Doser (ATO & AWC) | associated controllers

I have 2 questions:
  1. With the Versia Flow and Maxi EXT all relying on the Profilux controller, what happens when/if the Profilux fails. Seems like I would be creating a single point of failure? What safeguards are designed into the various components?
  2. I believe I read that the system can set up a local network, not requiring internet to work properly. Is this correct?
Just want to make sure I understand the safeguards on a controller failure before I make entire system reliant on one component…

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I can't speak to the Versia Flow or Maxi EXT, but if my Apex fails my Sicce SDC wifi pumps fall back to the default speed setup through the app or controller. So even though the Apex controls them they will still function in the event it fails for whatever reason.

OP
OP
N

niccumec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Vinny from GHL responded on the GHL site and confirmed that all of the GHL Versia pumps have fallback modes as well.

1. All Versia pumps have the option to enable a fallback mode through the Versia Controller. If for any reason, the Versia Controller looses communication with the ProfiLux controller, it will trigger the connected pumps to go into a fallback mode. These settings can be configured in the ProfiLux controller settings.
Versia: General Information – GHL (International) (aquariumcomputer.com)

For Doser EXT models, if they lose communication with the controller (extremely unlikely), the dosing schedule is suspended until the connection is restored. For piece of mind, some users have opted to go for the Standalone (Maxi SA) models instead because Standalone units can be switched to "EXT" mode and connected to the ProfiLux. If a disconnect were to occur, the user can always connect to the doser via USB and set it to Standalone mode so it operates separate from the controller system.

2. Yes, that is correct. Our ProfiLux simulataneously connects to existing Wi-Fi networks and broadcasts its own hotspot as an additional point of access. This is in addition to the USB connection for those who wish to go the hardwired route.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any controller can be a single point of failure, but does not have to be.

Most folks have stopped using them to control things and just to monitor. Your return pump and other stuff that cannot fail should not be run on the GHL, IMO - these are hobby grade of electronics, not cybersecurity type systems.

Any time that you introduce tech, you introduce another point of failure. For things like return pumps, I just plug them into the wall and do not use any with controllers - I like the 10 year super reliable ones. pH, salinity and temp probes are low quality in this hobby - good ones were about $300 when I looked last - so I would never use one of these to make decisions for you and always have another unit on hand to verify before you act.

In a mature tank, suspending anything can have dramatic effect even if for a little while. If a doser stopped on my tank for just a day, alk might get into the 4s. Suspending might be the best thing for the controller to do, but it still might mess with your tank.

I think that most people like to fool around with the tech and tinker some. This could be a lot of fun, but do it with stuff that does not matter as much. I wrote a controller on an old Mac Mini in j2ee, bash and ruby with multiple temp and pH probes (the expensive ones) with ssh, real redundancy, etc. In the end, it got me nothing but a headache so I quit. It was an expensive timer.

Just be smart and you will be fine. Figure out where you are OK with more points of failure and where you are not.

OP
OP
N

niccumec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definately one of those tech tinkerers…. I like to be able to see trends via monitoring but share your concerns on single point of failures. Hopefully I will find a happy medium. For example, knowing that GHL pumps have a fallback mode in the event of controller failure makes me feel more comfortable with the safeguard, while being able to program for feeding modes, varied rates, ATO, AWC, etc.

I will definitely go with stand-alone dosers and control them primarily via the controller, but have comfort knowing that in the event of a controller failure I can still continue the dosing stand-alone. In this respect, there seems to be some added safeguards by having a controller - as long as I can resort to stand-alone operations.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You can also get multiple used controllers and split your "load" if budget allows.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back