Controller units are they just glorified timers

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't really know what controllers could do until I read this thread. How would a controller be able to regulate your flow, for instance if you want to reduce your flow at night?

Had no idea they could be contolled by an app on your phone... That is what I am reading right?

You could use the timer function that shuts certain pumps off at night or you could use the RAMP function with some types of pumps (I know Tunze pumps can do this) to run them at a certain percentage of their strength. And yes, there is an app for the Neptune Apex for the Droid & iPhone OS. I'll take a pictures of it in a few and post what it looks like.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised, here are a few pics of droid app. Here's the widget to display on your homescreen:
IMG_0090.jpg

When you click on the widget, it pulls up the menu where you can controll any outlet plugged into the EB8:
IMG_0080-1.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

You can also get daily graphs of pH, Temp, Amperage draw, ORP, or any other probes you have attached:
IMG_0087.jpg

You can pull all of this up on a computer as well, which would allow you to rewrite programming if you needed to:
IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

And while on the topic of piece of mind over vacations, another great purchase I made was a droid app called "my webcam." It was like $2 in the app store and allows you to use port forwarding of your webcam and pull up a live (but choppy) video feed on your phone:
IMG_0078.jpg

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty sweet! Do you know if you control a pump that does not have an adjustable flow to cycle on/off will it prematurely wear the motor down or stress it?

Thanks!

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty sweet! Do you know if you control a pump that does not have an adjustable flow to cycle on/off will it prematurely wear the motor down or stress it?

Thanks!
You can only use the ramp function for a few pumps (I know Tunze pumps off hand, but I think there are more). If you use it to turn pumps on/off it shouldn't really wear on the pumps too bad as long as it's a pump designed to be hooked up to a wavemaker. For instance, the old Koralias had issues with the bearings when hooked up to a wavemaker, but the issue was supposedly resolved in the Evo issues. I'm sure it provides a bit more wear on the pumps in general, but the ones that are made for it should be able to handle the on/off switch.

Chris99999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still using my Lighthouse XLS Pro. They went out of business. So easy with the remote to do tank changes with maintenance and feed with the feed buttons. Tank changes are easy controlling the pumps, same remote.

My lights have their own timer (AI Super Blues), the Vortech's have their own timer as well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back