Controlling Phosphates

c4haskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning, New reefer here. I've done extensive research before I hopped into this hobby about 4 months ago. My tank is 4 months old. 85 gallon total, 65 display. I have been able to maintain fairly stable parameters except for phosphates. The first time I tested phosphates they were somewhere near .4 so I decided it was time to run some GFO to get them down. I ran my reactor for about 12 hours and retested.... undetectable. This imbalanced caused a dino outbreak which I've nearly got beat now. Ever since I bottomed out Phos, using GFO I switched to using Phosphate-E by brightwell so I can bring down phos slowly and maintain them a little better. Well tank was acting weird using it and realized that Phosphate-E drops ALK like crazy. It doesn't seem to matter what I feed, phosphates seem to be elevated, even more so after i added the reef roid phosphate bomb. I was thinking about running very small amounts of gfo all the time. Will running small amounts reduce phosphates more slowly or will it still strip phosphates fast but exhaust the gfo more quickly? Any ideas?

Joshcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphate drop may have caused alk to precipitate out, I would continue to use Phosphate-E gfo is incontrollable while phos e is controllable

OP
OP
c4haskett

c4haskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphate drop may have caused alk to precipitate out, I would continue to use Phosphate-E gfo is incontrollable while phos e is controllable
You don't think it was due to the Phosphate-E itself, rather it was due to the phosphates dropping too quickly?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean? I try keeping my phosphates between .03 and 1. When they go higher than that I usually run into problems bringing them down whether it be from GFO or Phosphate-E.

That's what I mean. You didn't say what level we were discussing. People have widely divergent views on what levels of phosphate are needed and/or desirable.

Joshcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't think it was due to the Phosphate-E itself, rather it was due to the phosphates dropping too quickly?
Sorry my bad on wording phos e also binds with carbonate meaning as your phos drops so will your alk because both are bound to it.

Back