Convert sump with drip tray to use filter socks?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Philt56
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Philt56

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2014
Messages
383
Reaction score
146
Location
Warrenville. Il
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0281.JPG

My sump currently has a drip tray for use as a wet dry filter. All my bio material is submerged so it's not a wet dry really Recently added a marine pure block and 2 quarts of spheres to replace the old plastic type bio balls.

I line the drip tray with 100 micron felt to do filtering of the water.
There's a union connector above the elbow pvc so I can disconnect and lift the lid up to change the felt. It's a tight fit and a pain to disconnect and reconnect everytime I change the felt and as a result I'm not changing it as often as I probably should. If the felt is too clogged then water just goes over the drip tray sides into the sump.

Looking for ideas on how to replace the drip tray with a filter sock holder so I can change the sock without having to disconnect the plumbing? Was thinking I could just tie the top of the sock with a cable tie to the down spout part of the elbow and just remove the lid and drip tray. But then the sump is completely open on top. Not sure if evaporation would be too high then and would the flow of the water be too much for a sock and have a lot of splashing noise of the water pouring through the sock between the opening and the sump water level?

Is here any kind of retrofit kit, that would attach a filter sock to the pvc pipe?



Thanks for any ideas!
Phol
 
Yes, they are normally submerged 2/3 or so, depending on personal setup. I don't know that they have to be, though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new