Converting Macroalgae reactor to grow Turf Algae, thoughts?

Exus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm having terrible luck growing chaeto in my Tunze macroalgae reactor, even cheatogro doesn't work for me. But I did notice green turf algae growing on the sides of the reactor. My sump has no room from a standard algae scrubber, so I want to try to use the macroalgae reactor to grow green turf algae.

So here is my idea, to use a similar plastic mesh to what algae scrubbers use, intersect three sheets of it, rough up the surface, and hope algae grows on it.

Is there a reason why this idea wouldn't work? Is there something special about those waterfall style algae scrubbers that makes it more efficient at growing algae than a reactor?

1688372156526.png

Last edited:

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the waterfall turf scrubbers are the industry standard per se as I’ve only seen one type of scrubber that has a significantly different design, that being an upflow algae scrubber from Santa Monica Filtration. Nevertheless, the smallest upflow scrubber from SMF has worked well for me although I don’t have any comparison to a waterfall scrubber (which SMF also produces).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back