Convict Tang only eating NORI in QT (still emaciated)

Abundant Life Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently following "HotRocks" QT process https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/... I've been doing his QT process with every fish, and its worked great! A lot of work but totally worth it!

I have a Convict Tang that's been in there for about 18 days (first 14 days in copper-power) and then the Convict tang was put into a sterile tank and treated with the general cure added to the water column. I haven't been able to treat for anything internal due to the fact the Convict tang shows no interest in any food except nori on a clip.

So soaked foods aren't an option. I've tried to entice the fish with live foods (Brine, Mysis, and Blackworms) with no luck.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get him to eat medicated foods? His poop isn't white and stringy, but he's eating a ton of Nori and hasn't fattened up at all. So I suspect it's something internal preventing him from gaining weight.

Please any thoughts welcome!

Thanks!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried introducing a gel food, like Repashy Soilent Green? Jay Hemdal recently published a good article on getting medications into gel mix foods, and it might be worth a shot to make a standard soilent green recipe, and see if the fish will take to that instead.

Alternatively...how large is the fish, and how much nori is it eating per day? Does it decimate the nori in between feedings? Or does it just nibble and peck a little bit at a time and you only have to use one sheet at a time?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding regular roasted nori? I’m not a big fan of that. Try to find dried forms, different species as well. Two Little Fishies sells dried algae I think.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back