Convict tangs feeding

Yehuda Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added pair of convict tangs to my reef tank few days ago.
They are eating green hair algae off the glass walls and rocks all day long (which is great for cleaning purpose), but seems to ignore any other source of food (marine pallets, marine flakes and even fresh Nori).

I am not sure the green hair algae will be sufficient for them to feed on, for long time...

Any suggestions how to make them feeding on additional food source?

Blake Fabian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely, they need more than a couple days to get comfortable enough to start eating with your other fish. I'd just keep feeding as you are. If they don't start joining the rest of your stock during feeding times within a week or two, then we can start trying different foods. In the meantime, offer up plenty of nori for them.

OP
OP
Yehuda Dana

Yehuda Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely, they need more than a couple days to get comfortable enough to start eating with your other fish. I'd just keep feeding as you are. If they don't start joining the rest of your stock during feeding times within a week or two, then we can start trying different foods. In the meantime, offer up plenty of nori for them.
I will surely do.
Thank you

OP
OP
Yehuda Dana

Yehuda Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been almost two weeks since I added these two convict tangs to my reef tank, and still - they are grazing on green hair algae only...
They totally ignore any other source of food - including Nori algae, algae based dry food, etc.

Ironically, they are getting fat and looks great, but I am concerned because one day these "native" algae will be no longer available...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back