Curing rock...how long is just right?

How long have you cured rock for a new/future build?

• 1 month

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 2 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 months

• 6 months

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 8 months

• 10 months

• 1 year

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • More than a year

• What is cooking rock?

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

While I dont have a new tank in the works currently, I am always looking to expand my knowledge and think ahead for when that time comes.

When I do upgrade, I would ideally want to start with live rock. Ocean direct would be nice, but I am mostly interested in all the micro life that comes with well established rock.

Even ocean direct rock needs time to cure before corals/fish are added to the system.

So my question today has a few parts:

1. What type of rock did you use when setting up your latest build (dry/ocean direct live/established from another tank/etc.)?

2. Did you cook your rock before setting up the tank, or cycle in-tank?

3. If you could do it over, what would you change?

Thanks everyone!

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard really great things about starting with live rock and I think it’s a great idea if you ran it in a brute bin for a few weeks to get all the unwanted critters out then you add it to your tank. And when you say “cooking” rock, you don’t mean like boiling it right? Never boil rock especially if it’s live because you never know if there’s palys or zoas on them.

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard really great things about starting with live rock and I think it’s a great idea if you ran it in a brute bin for a few weeks to get all the unwanted critters out then you add it to your tank. And when you say “cooking” rock, you don’t mean like boiling it right? Never boil rock especially if it’s live because you never know if there’s palys or zoas on them.
No, I dont mean literally boiling rock haha. BAD things can happen. Maybe I should use "CURE" instead.

NB Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curing rock is definitely a better term. Would hate for someone new to the hobby to read this and start actually cooking their rock. As you both said a lot of bad things can happen.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've cured fresh live rock in tank for a couple of months on a new build and cured live rock in a vat with skimmer, picking over it to remove things that sometimes don't survive the trip like some sponges or big bivalves. i'll do partial water changes siphoning off rotting things if present, but usually just let it cure for a month or so until the ammonia level has dropped and all the decay is gone.

My latest build..a while ago, was rock from my established tank. The rock I've cured in the past was raw Fiji (in tank), aquacultured Florida (in a vat) and Haitian (in a vat).

If i did it all over again I would probably either set it up in it's own tank to cure and see what comes out, I had about 10 sea urchins come out of 30 lbs of Florida rock as well as red algaes I didn't want.

Last edited:

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been curing my rock for about 6 months. The longer the better, but at some point may have diminishing returns.

F900C28C-2FE4-4FE7-8A93-7981DC316DC7.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread title and poll title fixed for you :)

Starkrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooking rock is an expert level culinary skill. It takes both the right time and temperature to bring it to just the right texture for the discerning palate. Harder rocks should be seasoned with stronger herbs such as sage and garlic and served with a dry red wine. Softer rocks can be seasoned with more delicate flavors and should be served with light, citrusy white wine. For a delicious dessert rock, very very gently simmering a soft rock, such as chalk, and seasoning with cinnamon is always a particular treat. :cool:

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooking rock is an expert level culinary skill. It takes both the right time and temperature to bring it to just the right texture for the discerning palate. Harder rocks should be seasoned with stronger herbs such as sage and garlic and served with a dry red wine. Softer rocks can be seasoned with more delicate flavors and should be served with light, citrusy white wine. For a delicious dessert rock, very very gently simmering a soft rock, such as chalk, and seasoning with cinnamon is always a particular treat. :cool:
Couldnt help but laugh at this! Hahahah

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back