Cool looking Algae… what is it?!?

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this cool looking algae for a few months and it’s steadily growing. I’m sure it’s robbing my corals of needed nutrients so trying to figure out the best way to remove it.

Any ideas what it is?!?

Thank you!

image.jpg

OP
OP
Greg Depo

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this cool looking algae for a few months and it’s steadily growing. I’m sure it’s robbing my corals of needed nutrients so trying to figure out the best way to remove it.

Any ideas what it is?!?

Thank you!

image.jpg

Oh forgot the chemistry
ALK 14.1 (I’ve adjusted the apex doser to bring that down)
CA 465
MG 1386
Nitrate 5
Salinity 1.024
Po4 .013

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably an encrusting sponge. As long as it's not growing over and smothering corals, it's probably harmless. If you want to remove it though:
The best way I've heard to control sponge growth at this point is to use a steel straw to scrape and siphon out the sponge you want to remove. Sometimes you can create bad conditions for them and kill them off that way, but that's typically much harder and not always effective.

Some other sponge removal methods:
Other suggestions include exposing the sponge to air (obviously not a guaranteed solution, and definitely not viable for this situation); hydrogen peroxide dipping the sponge (again, not viable here); injecting the sponge with hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, boiling water, or air; microbubbles in the display; and a few more. Predation is not usually a good solution for this issue
Basically, if the sponges have enough food and enough trace elements (which for most sponges includes silicates) to meet their needs, then you’ll see their populations booming.

If you can figure out what’s allowing them to thrive in your tank, then you can deal with that root cause and get rid of them

OP
OP
Greg Depo

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are talking about the neon green stuff that’s starting at the bottom and working up the rock work right?? I know the photo isn’t the best, here’s another

IMG_9197.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back