Copepod culture questions

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've got some questions for the copepod culture experts out there.

I currently culture Isochrysis galbana and Tiger copepods (Tigriopus californicus).
I'm only feeding my tiger pods live Iso at the moment but I feel I should supplement their diet with something more. The options I'm thinking of are;
- Reef Nutrition's Phyto feast (not the live ones, we don't get them here. This would be the easiest with the least amount of work. If this is just as good as adding another live phyto, I might just consider this)
- culture live Tetraselmis (I know live food is usually the best but a bit of a hassle to culture another strain of phyto since I have to worry more about the contamination and all but will do it if it's worth it)
- spirulina powder
What would you recommend? I used to also culture Tetra and Nanno in the past but I'm not thinking of culturing Nanno for this purpose btw.

For those who culture Apocyclops panamensis copepods successfully, what do you feed them with?
I may or may not give Apocyclops panamensis (from Reef Nutrition's Apex pods) culture a go. From what I've read, it seems some people have a hard time making the culture take off.

Also, do Apocyclops panamensis multiply and maintain their population in the reef tank? Do you see them around after seeding the tank?

Cheers

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I culture apocyclops, I just feed them nanno or iso.

I've tried adding powder foods like roids and powder spirulina, I find it dirties the water faster and no benefit that I can see. The phyto feast works but same, I find it dirties the water faster than just nanno.

Yes, apocyclops will culture in the tank. apocyclops and tisbe are the best ones IMO

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I culture apocyclops, I just feed them nanno or iso.

I've tried adding powder foods like roids and powder spirulina, I find it dirties the water faster and no benefit that I can see. The phyto feast works but same, I find it dirties the water faster than just nanno.

Yes, apocyclops will culture in the tank. apocyclops and tisbe are the best ones IMO
Thanks! I guess Tetra (or Nanno) might be the way to go.

Copepodking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live Phytoplankton is best. I agree that the others dirty the water and will cause the culture to crash or at least be a mess. I harvest about 20 to 40 gallons a week and have had best results just feeding them mixed live phytoplankton and give them time. I go through about 55 to 60 gallons a week feeding the copepods so the will consume a lot of Phytoplankton so culturing it is the only way to go. Good luck it can be done with great results.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back