Copepod Dosing for Mandarinfish

fishy4thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I want to add a mandarinfish to my tank this summer for my brithday, but my one question is, how long do i need to dose copepods and phytoplankton. Ive been told at my LFS that I only need to dose everyday for one week, but I want to know what you guys think. Hope you can help
Thomas

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest dosing pods every other day for a month after lights out so rocks can be populated, then twice a month thereafter. Do you have any other pod eaters? Like a six line?

U

User1

View Badges
Mandarin fish need an established tank. How old is yours and what sort of tank is it as far as rock, corals, and substrate? They constantly forage. And while there are some, or many, who say a refugium is nice to have it comes back to how the pods get from point a (refugium) to point b (the display tank). It isn't always so cut and dry in the flow and plumbing which gets us back to how old, mature, and established is the tank?

There are a few people here who have baby brine shrimp feeders and/or devices that may help. You would have to search has I do not have it handy. Also I didn't ask but must. Do you have any other fish that will compete for similar food? Wrasse for example? Two or more fish competing for similar food the slower one will starve. Wrasses are fast. The Mandarin not so much and has a very different foraging pattern.

I personally wouldn't recommend one without it being well into a year or more established and a healthy pod population. Said population needs time to balance out based on the nutrients in the tank and predators. Anything faster is asking for problems.

Pre-happy birthday. Sure it isn't want you want to hear but they are advanced fish due to their diet and feeding needs.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Pre- birthday.

I had a tank in the past that was running for 1.5 years with a 30g sump, and purchased a Mandarian. Even then, eventually he died. They eat pods non stop all day, and wasn't able to keep up the demand. If you can train it to eat other foods (frozen, pellets etc) it would help

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a mature reef tank with an abundant amount of live rock, the little guy will slowly starve to death.

If you don’t have that, you could cultivate phytoplankton and Copepods in separate tanks. I bought one bottle of reef nutrition Copepods a year ago and am able to harvest Copepods from it every 3 weeks or so:

32147A21-DDBE-4D18-88A8-B06D7CAE7E38.jpeg F581C9DC-000C-4E41-BF67-FE4842786609.jpeg E0357284-79F2-4F78-B0E0-599781C38557.jpeg

OP
OP
fishy4thomas

fishy4thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin fish need an established tank. How old is yours and what sort of tank is it as far as rock, corals, and substrate? They constantly forage. And while there are some, or many, who say a refugium is nice to have it comes back to how the pods get from point a (refugium) to point b (the display tank). It isn't always so cut and dry in the flow and plumbing which gets us back to how old, mature, and established is the tank?

There are a few people here who have baby brine shrimp feeders and/or devices that may help. You would have to search has I do not have it handy. Also I didn't ask but must. Do you have any other fish that will compete for similar food? Wrasse for example? Two or more fish competing for similar food the slower one will starve. Wrasses are fast. The Mandarin not so much and has a very different foraging pattern.

I personally wouldn't recommend one without it being well into a year or more established and a healthy pod population. Said population needs time to balance out based on the nutrients in the tank and predators. Anything faster is asking for problems.

Pre-happy birthday. Sure it isn't want you want to hear but they are advanced fish due to their diet and feeding needs.
My tank is a few months old now, and at the time i would plan on adding it it would be about 6 months old. I have about 11lbs of live rock (i would buy more before adding the mandarin), 20lbs of aragonite sand,and i dont have corals( do i need coral??)

U

User1

View Badges
My tank is a few months old now, and at the time i would plan on adding it it would be about 6 months old. I have about 11lbs of live rock (i would buy more before adding the mandarin), 20lbs of aragonite sand,and i dont have corals( do i need coral??)

No. You don't need coral. However, your tank isn't mature enough to support a mandarin based on what you are posting. Sometimes they take to prepared food (frozen baby brine or small pellet) but it is rare. I don't see the tank ready honestly. Not what you want to hear I know.

OP
OP
fishy4thomas

fishy4thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. You don't need coral. However, your tank isn't mature enough to support a mandarin based on what you are posting. Sometimes they take to prepared food (frozen baby brine or small pellet) but it is rare. I don't see the tank ready honestly. Not what you want to hear I know.
Yeah so my tank would be ready in about a year, right? Maybe I'll just get some corals for my birthday then :D

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Pre- birthday.

I had a tank in the past that was running for 1.5 years with a 30g sump, and purchased a Mandarian. Even then, eventually he died. They eat pods non stop all day, and wasn't able to keep up the demand. If you can train it to eat other foods (frozen, pellets etc) it would help
or purchase one from Algae Barn. They are tiny but already trained to eat pellets etc.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back