Adding Biodiversity: 5 gallon tank, what copepod pack should I use?

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fighting dinos again, and besides silicate dosing to increase a diatom bloom this time, I wanted to help with general biodiversity issues I've been having, which should help my other nuisance algae issues.

I have a 5 gallon tank however, so I am unsure what copepods I should get from algaebarn. I plan on getting phytoplankton from there, but it sounds like the 5280 copepod pack is 1 pack per 30 gallons. Is that right? Suggestions for seeding such a small tank?

Also, are there dosing instructions for OceanMagik phytoplankton?

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I buy my Copepods from @hollback way cheaper and way more!

you can get any phyto from anywhere it should be ok. You just dose a little bit but with 5 gallons you dont want to add to much and pollute the tank.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy my Copepods from @hollback way cheaper and way more!

you can get any phyto from anywhere it should be ok. You just dose a little bit but with 5 gallons you dont want to add to much and pollute the tank.
For the phytoplankton, I will adjust their suggested ratio of 5ml per 20 gallons to be 1.25ml instead. As for copepods, my concern isn't quantity provided or price, but rather, what is the recommended quantity for a small tank like mine? It's not like I can introduce a portion of the copepods since it is meant for a 30g tank. Suggestions on what quantity from wherever would be good for a 5 gallon tank?

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the phytoplankton, I will adjust their suggested ratio of 5ml per 20 gallons to be 1.25ml instead. As for copepods, my concern isn't quantity provided or price, but rather, what is the recommended quantity for a small tank like mine? It's not like I can introduce a portion of the copepods since it is meant for a 30g tank. Suggestions on what quantity from wherever would be good for a 5 gallon tank?

I added 5 bottles into my 75. they are pretty self regulating, if you have high food content then they will reproduce but if you have low food and high predation they will dwindle. I would add a single bottle of whatever you get and see if they populate or not.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 5 bottles into my 75. they are pretty self regulating, if you have high food content then they will reproduce but if you have low food and high predation they will dwindle. I would add a single bottle of whatever you get and see if they populate or not.
Cool, so between the copepods and adding the phytoplankton daily as a source of added biodiversity and nutrients for the pods, I think combined that should be helpful. Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back