Copepod questions

Echale3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got up this morning and as the tank lights started to come up, I saw 30-40 of these little guys off towards the corner. I've been trying to identify them, and the best I can come up with is some species of calanoid or cyclopoid copepod. Any copepod experts in here that can help me narrow down an ID better than the not so wonderful results my google-fu has come up with?

Best guess is that they hitchhiked in with the CUC order from ReefCleaners.org I recently made or, maybe more likely, came in with the corals I picked up from my LFS about a week ago, as I haven't seen anything like them before today. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, I think it's great, and I hope to be able to propagate them. Guess my plan to add a refugium to my sump will have to come off sooner than I was expecting.

This is as good a closeup through the glass as my phone would get this morning. The large ones on the glass are about 3/16" long or thereabouts. There seems to be some smaller ones swimming around, too, but I wasn't able to get a good pic of them.

20230727_070754[1].jpg

OP
OP
E

Echale3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks for the reply -- I looked up Munnid Isopods, the Google pix look dead on like what's in my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back