Copepods and Marine Parasites

QueenbeeChelsee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I have begun to stress myself out and I need to know if it is for nothing.. Bottom line: do you QT copepods? I bought some copepods from and LFS that does not have shared filtration systems. Each tank has it's stand alone filtration to avoid cross contamination of marine parasites and the pod tank has no fish in it. Well needless to say, they had a killer deal and I bought a bag of copepods to seed my DT. I have two clownfish in QT that are due to go into the DT mid next week. Did I just screw up by putting those pods into my DT? Can pods carry ich or velvet? Any advise or comments are much appreciated. Should I keep my clowns in QT until I run another FALLOW period in my DT or am I okay to move my fish?

Secondarily if I need to go fallow again would raising the temp speed up the cycle?

I am seriously so dumb and regretted dumping them in there an hour after I did it.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I have begun to stress myself out and I need to know if it is for nothing.. Bottom line: do you QT copepods? I bought some copepods from and LFS that does not have shared filtration systems. Each tank has it's stand alone filtration to avoid cross contamination of marine parasites and the pod tank has no fish in it. Well needless to say, they had a killer deal and I bought a bag of copepods to seed my DT. I have two clownfish in QT that are due to go into the DT mid next week. Did I just screw up by putting those pods into my DT? Can pods carry ich or velvet? Any advise or comments are much appreciated. Should I keep my clowns in QT until I run another FALLOW period in my DT or am I okay to move my fish?

Secondarily if I need to go fallow again would raising the temp speed up the cycle?

I am seriously so dumb and regretted dumping them in there an hour after I did it.
Welcome! And take a deep breath. There is a risk of contamination when you introduce anything live into your tanks, but the probability of that happening is probably quite low. I had the same feeling you did a few weeks ago when I dumped a bottle of live 'pods into my Evo...and then got over it.

People do cultivate pods themselves, and that's one way to mitigate any risk in the future. You'll probably build up a healthy population in your tank if you dose phyto. I personally believe you can quarantine most things, but I'm not sure that the effort would have outweighed the risk in this case.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Qting Pods would be a really hard process not to mention kind of a waste of time as they would most likely die off in Qt . I breed pods as a side Hobby best advice is get them from a reputable breeder that way you know what exactly they are being fed and what's acutaly going into your tank

Back