Copepods and uncycled tank

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confident it’ll carry fish. Scrolled up to see 3x strains all cycling bac used, for sure it’s ok and agreed on the test interference

we don’t count nitrite as a burning or harmful parameter even if it is present, yes it will cloud the kit. Randy has posted years ago on the neutrality of nitrite in a display cycle and we have started a thousand reefs in the + nitrite condition in testing, all pass each week we run these ammonia control- only start dates. Can carry fish agreed.

OP
OP
bsap

bsap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confident it’ll carry fish. Scrolled up to see 3x strains all cycling bac used, for sure it’s ok and agreed on the test interference

we don’t count nitrite as a burning or harmful parameter even if it is present, yes it will cloud the kit. Randy has posted years ago on the neutrality of nitrite in a display cycle and we have started a thousand reefs in the + nitrite condition in testing, all pass each week we run these ammonia control- only start dates. Can carry fish agreed.
My phosphates are also at 0. Should I be concerned about this?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, only ammonia control matters to them and any fair range of pH we typically find in reef tanks, even that can vary. I wouldnt believe the po4 reading anyway unless it’s a high end digital reader

bladeshadow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I want to add copepods to my tank which is in the process of cycling. I'm still recording Nitrite readings of 1 ppm but no ammonia. Would this be safe to do?
I realize this threads been there and done that, but for the benefit of future readers:

1 week ago I setup a brand new nano with virgin dead sand and dry rock. I used 0ppm rodi water from my seven stage to fill it. I took a single scrubby pad from the sump of my existing 125 reef tank and jammed it into the filter section of the nano to jump start the cycle. It’s been 1 week of me only dosing ammonia daily and running 12 hours of light. Look at my front glass in this vid I just took. I have algae and a million pods. All from a single scrubby pad.

So yeah. I vote add them right off the bat as long as you plan on running lights.
9D28A3F1-5A6B-41EC-A5C6-6CA3859133A6.jpeg

My ammonia is processing at about 2ppm per day but is not zero.. Nitrites and nitrates are on the rise. So no where near cycled yet. Copepods don’t care.

BD353FC0-E394-490E-A78C-952C3BB64103.jpeg

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back