Copepods need a boost?

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking with a flashlight at night I'm noticing I have quite a few copepods on my glass but I don't see them active on my sand bed like I did a few weeks ago. I vacuumed the top layer of sand last water change. When changing my filter floss I noticed what looked to be a couple of bigger amphipods. Is it time to add another bottle of copepods or will the smaller amount I have a experience a population uptick?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want ot buy more thats up to you, but personally I think its a waste of money, they are already in abundance in your tank. Pods mainly hide in the rocks, its part of why we use the porous rocks we do.

I would suggest to feed phyto to your tank to feed them if anything. The population is self-correcting, doesn't matter how many pods you add, the population is determined by the available food in the environement. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rabidbeast666

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 1 more bottle in Sept. They are reproducing and self sustaining now. Some are getting quite big. I think I may have some amphipods they are so big. Glad to see my fish aren't completely gobbling them all up.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back