Copepods or something else?

  • Thread starter Thread starter loops123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

loops123

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 14, 2024
Messages
52
Reaction score
18
Location
South africa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm trying to establish copepod culture, but I've been struggling.. The bottled pod I've been buying has a bunch of obvious pods (with jerky movement), however, there are only a few. The rest is much smaller, I'm not sure if it's maybe small tisbe? The mix is sold as tisbe & tigger.

Here's the best pics I could get under my cheap microscope :D

Would be great if someone could help ID these..


WhatsApp Image 2026-08-17 at 23.25.01 (1).jpeg


WhatsApp Image 2026-08-17 at 23.25.01 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2026-08-17 at 23.25.01.jpeg
 
I would say Rotifer

Check out post #146 (page 8) in my microscopy thread.

The sphere shaped things behind those specimen are probably eggs.
 
Thank you.. is it usual for copepods to be bottled with a huge amounts of rotifers or other organisms?
 
Thank you.. is it usual for copepods to be bottled with a huge amounts of rotifers or other organisms?
Yes they are often bottled together. In my experience copepods survive long-term in tanks while rotifers seem to either die or they find places to hide where I never get to see them again when I'm taking microscopy samples 😅
Either way: Good guys, beneficial, no need to worry.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new