Copepods?

Neilie

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 6, 2020
Messages
98
Reaction score
107
Location
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I let some film algae build up on the glass, I notice copepods crawling around. I like looking at them through a jeweler’s loupe, and today I noticed quite a few that looked almost crab-shaped, spider like.
I tried to take a picture, but they’re microscopic and it’s really hard to get a good photo. I’ve been trying to look them up online but can’t find anything that looks like these.
Does anybody have any idea what these are called, or can anyone make them out from the picture?
IMG_9002.jpeg
 
Interesting! Copepods are more tear drop shaped. Maybe an isopod? Following to learn.
 
Hopefully it’s not something bad, I asked chat GPT it’s saying possibly a tiny marine mite (Halacaridae). I did a small video maybe a little clearer to see.
 
Hmmmm it could be a hydroid, seeing that video seems to spark that in my head. The circular little body with the arms makes me think it’s in that family.
 
Ok starting to get worried now. Shot some video with the lights adjusted 🤦🏼‍♂️
 
Wondering if I have to worry about the fish, I just finished quarantining a yellow tang and put him back in the DT.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new