Copepods

xPhilx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How difficult has it been to care for him?

I have a Blue Dragonette as well. He is super easy to care for. They eat copepods, so as long as you can keep your tank stocked he's good to go. I've restocked two times now. I still have a pretty large population an feed the copepods. They say that typically after the third batch that they will naturally populate your tank. So basically his food is sustainable in the tank. He will usually have some of whatever I feed my other fish too. He's super fun to watch and full of personality.

There are some great videos on how to care for them on YouTube.

xPhilx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2D1178A6-E649-408B-8E03-91FCECE0C4D1.jpeg
6A5135F6-5FB3-4A17-AF30-F6DF3590713A.jpeg

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added pods to my Tank 3 times from 3 different places & I never see any at all & I don't notice the fish doing anything different. Put half in DT & half in sump, weeks later Nothing. Is there something I'm missing?

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the two for you JD deal and my daughter laughed at the “water” I bought but I assure her they were there. Proceeded to dump in per instructions and feed ocean manic nightly. About two weeks later we have pods. Just replenished my phytoplankton this week and good t a free bag of brine. They’re not as small and are barely visible but doing swimmingly. Faith. If they ripped people away from they were updated not be cool n business long. @AlgaeBarn is quality goods

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also culture phytoplankton. The phyto and pods are kept in 2lr sized bottles and I usually take 500ml from the pods bottle every week or so and replace with fresh phyto. The 500ml of pods and water goes into the tank at the back away from the anthias who go mental if they see the pods...talk about a feeding frenzy.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also culture phytoplankton. The phyto and pods are kept in 2lr sized bottles and I usually take 500ml from the pods bottle every week or so and replace with fresh phyto. The 500ml of pods and water goes into the tank at the back away from the anthias who go mental if they see the pods...talk about a feeding frenzy.
Yes my anthias and dwarf flame angel chow these all day! Even after a week I still see the mandarin pecking away at the rocks. I feed my pods raw spirulina powder. One less thing to cultivate like the phytoplankton. Read they prefer a brown algae. When the spirulina runs out. I am going to try the brown algae powder, because it is said by Reef Nutrition on their site that it is easier for them to digest a brown algae VS a green.

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
raw spirulina powder ?? interesting. I am thinking of stopping the phyto...but I need something to feed the pods on...wonder if I can get this stuff in the UK.
Can u send me a link pls

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

First off please forgive me if this thread is not in the right place. I was not quite sure where to put it.
So I have a small situation and I need the help of the community here. I purchased some Pods from Algaebarn the 5280 + Phyto and I spent like 60 bucks. When I got my pods the bag just looked like a bag of water. Now I know pods are small but I am atleast supposed to see something correct? I called them and I was told they sent me juveniles which the naked eye have a hard time seeing. Please give me your feedback otherwise I think Algaebarn will get a piece of my mind because I feel I have been duped out of 60 bucks. I think I want an alternative vendor for pods from this point on.

I had a similar experience with Algae Barn, I got a starter kit and had been dosing phyto and now about three months later nothing. I seeded my refugium twice with algae barn pods and I will not be doing it again because I have not seen a thing.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
raw spirulina powder ?? interesting. I am thinking of stopping the phyto...but I need something to feed the pods on...wonder if I can get this stuff in the UK.
Can u send me a link pls
I went to the organic store and picked up a bag for $10.

IMG_20180327_101024.jpg

IMG_20180327_101040.jpg

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so its just the stuff you can buy for human consumption. ... how much do you add and how often.
I had a similar experience with Algae Barn, I got a starter kit and had been dosing phyto and now about three months later nothing. I seeded my refugium twice with algae barn pods and I will not be doing it again because I have not seen a thing.

I bought a bag of pods from a lfs near to me and added them into the bottle with ro and phyto and two years on they are multiplying like anything.
The unit is set up in my basement (with an air pump and 10wt led light) without heating and somehow survived the nastiest winter we have had in many many years.

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phytoplankton

its dead easy to set up the phyto...it must be if I can do it...haha..

to start with you need a bottle of phyto and some f2 fertilizer. I bought mine from Andrew Clark( go on Face Book and go to the ReefBoost site ). You then need to get an led light unit, an air pump, some flexible air hose and lots of empty plastic bottles..1tr and 2 lt

You also need some salt water and plain ro

all I did was add the litre of phyto to a 2 lt bottle....then in an empty 1lt bottle I added about 70% of salt water and 30% of ro...you need to get the water down to 1.018 or 1.019. Add 1ml of the f2 to the 1lt of water and mix and then add it to the original bottle that has the phyto

so you have a 2lt bottle with the phyto, the mixed salt water / ro and the f2.
cut a hole in the top of the 2 lt bottle to feed the air hose thru it into the bottle. Make a second small hole to allow the air to escape. Push the hose down to the bottom of the bottle and then fix the other end to the airpump. The airpump needs to be running 24/7.

I was told that you could grow the phyto on a window sill but it would be better using an led light..which is what I did. I have the led on a time switch so it is on for 16 hrs and off for 8. You need to have a good flow of bubbles in the bottle to agitate the mix. I am told that it takes about 8 - 10 days to let the f2 mix properly.
at that point you can then split the 2lt bottle so that you keep 1lt for your tank and then use the other 1 lt to make more....same thing again. Make up 1lt of 1.018 water and add 1ml of f2 fertilizer. add to the original bottle and off you go again.

NOTES

Turn skimmer off when adding phyto

Add phyto when lights are brightest each day

Phyto does NOT increase nitrate but it will leave some crap on the glass. I use my magnet cleaner daily.

Keep unused phyto in the fridge. Always shake the bottle before use…just look at the bottom of the bottle
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copepods.

If you have the light and pump (as above) then we are good to go. If not..then I would advise you get one of each.

Get an empty pop bottle .. I use a 2lt..and add some salt water. You can use as much or as little as you like. I use about 1 ½ lt.

Before adding the pods to the water check the salinity with a refractometer. The ones I bought had a reading of 1.030. If the reading is less or more than your salt water then either distil or add water over a period of time to bring it up to the desired level. Once they are the same chuck all the pods into the bottle.

Now..pods need feeding…I have been using my phyto ( as in the phyto above ) and it has worked very well. I add about 25ml every other day or so. That’s why I only start with 1 ½ lt in the bottle. There is now a pods reef boost max on offer from Andrew Clarke in Stockport. I cannot comment on how good it works as I have only just bought some although a lot of people have posted very positive comments. Supposedly the pods multiply every 6 – 8 days or so.

The pods will survive in this mix for a long time so you don’t need to worry about them dying out.

When you want to add pods to the tank simply remove an amount from the bottle. Then top the bottle up with the salt water..and off we go again. Just remember to keep feeding.

One thought to consider. Inbreeding will reduce numbers over time. I add an extra pk of pods every few months to replenish the stock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back