Copepods

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello R2R,

First off please forgive me if this thread is not in the right place. I was not quite sure where to put it.
So I have a small situation and I need the help of the community here. I purchased some Pods from Algaebarn the 5280 + Phyto and I spent like 60 bucks. When I got my pods the bag just looked like a bag of water. Now I know pods are small but I am atleast supposed to see something correct? I called them and I was told they sent me juveniles which the naked eye have a hard time seeing. Please give me your feedback otherwise I think Algaebarn will get a piece of my mind because I feel I have been duped out of 60 bucks. I think I want an alternative vendor for pods from this point on.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard nothing but good things about Algaebarn honestly. They seem to be good with their products. I've never gotten pods from them, but got a Biota Mandarin from them.

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

First off please forgive me if this thread is not in the right place. I was not quite sure where to put it.
So I have a small situation and I need the help of the community here. I purchased some Pods from Algaebarn the 5280 + Phyto and I spent like 60 bucks. When I got my pods the bag just looked like a bag of water. Now I know pods are small but I am atleast supposed to see something correct? I called them and I was told they sent me juveniles which the naked eye have a hard time seeing. Please give me your feedback otherwise I think Algaebarn will get a piece of my mind because I feel I have been duped out of 60 bucks. I think I want an alternative vendor for pods from this point on.

hold it up to a light and look REALLLY closely and try to see if you see any small amount of specs moving, also shake the bag a little and acclimate to get them out of stasis.

I've heard nothing but good things about Algaebarn honestly. They seem to be good with their products. I've never gotten pods from them, but got a Biota Mandarin from them.

How has your experience been so far with a biota mandarin? I would like to buy one on day but a bit hesitant

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I held the bag up to the light looked like water to me. I guess I gotta wait until they grow if they were in the bag. I too went with Algaebarn
because they had a good reputation. I have already dumped half the bag in my refugium and half in my DT. I dosed some Phyto. I really don't have any pod eaters in my tank maybe Pajama cardinals not sure about them yet but I have 165 pounds of Live rock so they should all find nice hiding places and ample breeding grounds.

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, it could be that they have a lot of demand right now so theyre shipping out more babies. I have used them many times never had an issue so I dont know. Maybe it is a bad bag?

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought a few times from them and everything seemed really good, I hate to say it though I didn't look close at my last order today that I just got today, but just glancing seem really low on pods, I know they weren't shipping because they were low on numbers but they shipped anyway, at least I am just restocking, hope this isn't a trend. The only reason I ordered again was because I was pleased with the product.

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really are tiny, but in light, you usually can see a lot of movement in the bag if you shake it a little bit. Also, there are usually quite a few clumped at the bottom, and that light dusting on the bottom of the bag is usually there if it hasn't moved in a little bit.

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes that sounds bad hopefully it isnt the new trend for them. I could see how that could make us feel like we're getting gypped

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've bought a few times from them and everything seemed really good, I hate to say it though I didn't look close at my last order today that I just got today, but just glancing seem really low on pods, I know they weren't shipping because they were low on numbers but they shipped anyway, at least I am just restocking, hope this isn't a trend. The only reason I ordered again was because I was pleased with the product.

I think I was duped. I am not happy. I did not see anything in the bag. I am looking for an alternative now.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tisbe are super tiny. Tig are bigger. If you wait you'll see the tisbe. You gotta feed them. Let them grow.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi @Deezill,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your order. We offer a 100% Alive On Arrival Guarantee on every order and are happy to replace anything you are not completely satisfied with free of charge, if you are still not satisfied with the replacement order we will issue a full refund. This policy keeps us accountable to our customers as it allows them to ultimately have the final say on if we went above and beyond their expectations to earn their business which is our goal with every order. It sounds like you may have had a DOA which happens sometimes if the package gets too hot or too cold in transit. The copepods are small and look like tiny little dust specs in the water, the smaller size is intentional because we feel that offering a wide range of copepods of all sizes and life stages is the best way to seed your tank with a healthy copepod population. The best way to see the pods is to gently swirl the bag to shake them off the sides and bottom, then hold the bag up to a light and look through the bag. You should be able to see thousands of tiny little dust specs and they should be actively swimming and lively in the bag. If this is not the case or if you are not satisfied for any other reason with your order please contact us at 772-444-7637, or by email at [email protected] and we promise to make it right for you.

Again, thank you for brining this to our attention and we look forwarding to hearing from you.

Lan

xPhilx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Deezill,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your order. We offer a 100% Alive On Arrival Guarantee on every order and are happy to replace anything you are not completely satisfied with free of charge, if you are still not satisfied with the replacement order we will issue a full refund. This policy keeps us accountable to our customers as it allows them to ultimately have the final say on if we went above and beyond their expectations to earn their business which is our goal with every order. It sounds like you may have had a DOA which happens sometimes if the package gets too hot or too cold in transit. The copepods are small and look like tiny little dust specs in the water, the smaller size is intentional because we feel that offering a wide range of copepods of all sizes and life stages is the best way to seed your tank with a healthy copepod population. The best way to see the pods is to gently swirl the bag to shake them off the sides and bottom, then hold the bag up to a light and look through the bag. You should be able to see thousands of tiny little dust specs and they should be actively swimming and lively in the bag. If this is not the case or if you are not satisfied for any other reason with your order please contact us at 772-444-7637, or by email at [email protected] and we promise to make it right for you.

Again, thank you for brining this to our attention and we look forwarding to hearing from you.

Lan
Now that's great service!! Good job guys!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought Tisbe pods from Algagen and the bag looked like what you are talking about. Dumped them in a 5g tank to start a colony. 10 days later you should see them. They are very very tiny compared to Tigger pods. They need more stability. Make sure you float the bag and bring them up to tank temp. Shut your flow off and dump them down a tube so they settle in on your sand bed.
If you are looking to feed a tank. Do Tigger pods.
Honestly I gave up on the Tisbe pods. Cleaned out the 5g tank and just added Tigger pods from my other 5g tank of Tigger pods and they are doing just fine.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tigger-tisbe-pods.339906/

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hold it up to a light and look REALLLY closely and try to see if you see any small amount of specs moving, also shake the bag a little and acclimate to get them out of stasis.

How has your experience been so far with a biota mandarin? I would like to buy one on day but a bit hesitant

I bought him and man it was tiny! Probably 1/2”-3/4” long. I didn’t QT which I know I should, but the last mandarin I tried to QT died so I took a risk and dumped him right into the DT. Fat and happy to this day!

782A4A6A-E9B1-480D-9213-733ECDC38109.jpeg

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now that's great service!! Good job guys!

Yes I must say this is superlative customer service. AlgaeBarn reached out to me last night and they are in the process making things right.
With customer service like this I must retract what I have aforementioned as far as finding an alternative vendor. I must say their reputation definitely proceeds them. I see why they come so highly recommended.

APurdy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Deezill,

Lan

APurdy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Job AlgaeBarn!!!! They are by far the best place to buy from and I have place a couple or so orders from them and have not had a problem. I am ready to make another purchase for pods and a pair of mandarins. Won't use anyone else for pods. :)

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought him and man it was tiny! Probably 1/2”-3/4” long. I didn’t QT which I know I should, but the last mandarin I tried to QT died so I took a risk and dumped him right into the DT. Fat and happy to this day!

782A4A6A-E9B1-480D-9213-733ECDC38109.jpeg

How difficult has it been to care for him?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back