Coppepods and canister filter

Europa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to clean my canister filter once a month, but just introduced coppepods in the tank. I was told they would make their way into the filter.
Question: how do I clean the filter without killing the coppepods? Or should I no longer clean it?

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to clean my canister filter once a month, but just introduced coppepods in the tank. I was told they would make their way into the filter.
Question: how do I clean the filter without killing the coppepods? Or should I no longer clean it?
I have filter socks when the water drains off. the pods come to the surface of the socks and i pick them off and put them back in the tank. You can do that with your filter

OP
OP
Europa

Europa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for answering. I'm not familiar with filter socks. Can I use them on my canister filter, or do I need a special kind of filter?

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for answering. I'm not familiar with filter socks. Can I use them on my canister filter, or do I need a special kind of filter?
Your fine with your canister filter. I have a sump for my 180 gal tank with 2 filter socks.. in your filter when you go to clean it..you will see the copepods on the filter moving. I just pick them off and put them back in the tank.. Some people don't, it's up to you... its food for the fish. .there are good videos on u tube on the reefing industry for just about anything you want to learn. Stick with the professionals on YouTube. Like Bulk reef supply or saltwater aquarium that have businesses Etc .there are also professional people on reef2reef with beautiful reefs

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fine with your canister filter. I have a sump for my 180 gal tank with 2 filter socks.. in your filter when you go to clean it..you will see the copepods on the filter moving. I just pick them off and put them back in the tank.. Some people don't, it's up to you... its food for the fish. .there are good videos on u tube on the reefing industry for just about anything you want to learn. Stick with the professionals on YouTube. Like Bulk reef supply or saltwater aquarium that have businesses Etc .there are also professional people on reef2reef with beautiful reefs

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is, why worry about it? 100% of the pods are not going to end up trapped in your filter. The majority of them will be inside your tank... clean your filters as you have always done and don't worry about it.

Another thing to point out is that copepods are rather tiny and hard to see with the naked eye. I'm wondering if the ones people are suggesting pulling out of the filter aren't amphipods.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about them, they repopulate rather quickly.

Murice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i seem to be late to this post and you probably already figured out what youre doing. I run a cannister filter and have never worried about copepods in them. I have a mandarin and scooter blenny, and either one is starving. I use a HOB refugium that constantly supplies the tank with pods. If youre still worried about pods i definitely suggest getting a HOB refugium solely for pods

OP
OP
Europa

Europa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I actually was able to see my coppepods in the tank at night, so I think they are fine!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back