Copper Dosing

Chad Balistreri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Here......Have my QT set up and running with my first fish. I’m reading that proper copper dosing for QT is 2.25-2.50 I’m using seachem cupramine which says not to go above .50? Is this because it is different form of copper VS other products like copper power?

Not sure what I need to hold my copper level at for QT?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New Here......Have my QT set up and running with my first fish. I’m reading that proper copper dosing for QT is 2.25-2.50 I’m using seachem cupramine which says not to go above .50? Is this because it is different form of copper VS other products like copper power?

Not sure what I need to hold my copper level at for QT?
If using cupramine .5 is where you wanna be for therapeutic levels. Copper power is 2.0 for therapeutic levels. 2 different types of copper. Most use Copper power as it’s less harsh on most copper sensitive fish. Also recommend getting a Hanna copper checker to ensure levels are maintained.

OP
OP
Chad Balistreri

Chad Balistreri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect thank you! I have a Hannah checker it’s reading .73 should I do a partial water change to get it at .50? Fish seem to be doing fine....

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I would do a water change and try and bring it down to the .5 range.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, different types of copper. Cupramine is ionic copper and CopperSafe is chelated copper. They have different therapeutic levels. Cupramine is 0.5ppm and Copper Safe is 2.00-2.50ppm.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, different types of copper. Cupramine is ionic copper and CopperSafe is chelated copper. They have different therapeutic levels. Cupramine is 0.5ppm and Copper Safe is 2.00-2.50ppm.

From a chemical perspective, The terms ionic vs chelated copper, especially as either might apply to cupramine, are not really chemically accurate and I suggest folks don’t use them.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 91 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 95 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 20 9.7%
Back