Copper got in Display.... how to remove???

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a hospital tank on the floor of my office, treating some fish for ich. I think the spray from the hospital tank affected one of my display tanks that was only 2'-3' away. I left the cabinet door open for a while and I think it got int the sump.

Anyway, fast forward... hospital tank has been running for 30 days & now my zoas & nem in that tank are going downhill. I tested the water today and it was .10 for copper.

How do I get it out? I did a 20% water change today. Will do another tomorrow and move the corals out... but can't get the nem out. Will it soak into the rocks? Will carbon get it out?

thanks

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This is really the best route.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tanks been running for quite a while... I have copper & GFO on hand I could hook up to the tank tomorrow.
assuming carbon and gfo...go yes carbon #1 asap ,,jmo..best wishes

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
poly filter, cuprisorb, and a good deal of water changes. 0.10 ppm seems awfully high for incidental splashing though.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a hospital tank on the floor of my office, treating some fish for ich. I think the spray from the hospital tank affected one of my display tanks that was only 2'-3' away. I left the cabinet door open for a while and I think it got int the sump.

Anyway, fast forward... hospital tank has been running for 30 days & now my zoas & nem in that tank are going downhill. I tested the water today and it was .10 for copper.

How do I get it out? I did a 20% water change today. Will do another tomorrow and move the corals out... but can't get the nem out. Will it soak into the rocks? Will carbon get it out?

thanks
way i got it out was cuprisorb in filter sock and polyfilter zip tied to my powerheads they would turn blue in about 3 days

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so cupramine is to my knowledge the only copper treatment that is advertised not to absorb to the rock/seal of the tank. I'd throw in some carbon, and remove the sand (if you have)

What copper did you use

OP
OP
B

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper power

Thats the only way I can assume the copper got into the tank. I checked my MP10, my return pump (eheim) and my heater (neotherm). Nothing else in the tank. Tank is a red sea reefer 170.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
carbon carbon carbon,add a sack,change out 2 days add another,repeat ;)

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper power

Thats the only way I can assume the copper got into the tank. I checked my MP10, my return pump (eheim) and my heater (neotherm). Nothing else in the tank. Tank is a red sea reefer 170.

How large is the hospital tank? How much copper were you running? 2.0ppm?

OP
OP
B

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H T was a 20L and I ramped it up to 2.5ppm and ran it for a total of 45 days. I used Humblefish's copper treatment method, but ran it a bit longer JIC.

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that's a good approach!

The numbers are a little weird though. To get to 2.5ppm in the 20L (assuming you filled it all the way) you would need 30 mL of copper power. Now consider the hospital tank as being a diluted copper solution. 20 gallons is approximately ~75,000mL; the amount of volume added from the copper power solution is negligible. For a 35 gallon tank like the Red Sea 170, you need ~2mL of copper power, assuming you filled it the whole way to reach 0.10 ppm. But instead of the copper power bottle, let's say you use the hospital tank. The calculation yields, 2mL/30mL * 75,000mL = 5000mL or 1.3 gallons, which seems like a lot from splashing. I would definitely double-check to make sure nothing is leaching copper.

It's late and I didn't check my math so forgive me if I made a logical/mathematical error.

OP
OP
B

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the cal for copper power, I would need 2.54 ml to reach .10. Seems like a lot, I agree. I'm going to test it again today and see what it says.

OP
OP
B

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested again and I'm at .04ppm. Gonna do another large water change & hook up the carbon. Should have some cupri tomorrow.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.9%
Back