Copper in New Salt Mix Tropic Marin

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re using a High Range Copper meter, you need a more sensitive test kit. All that meter is giving you is it’s fudge factor margin of error. I’d at least try another kit to see if it agrees with the Hanna.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re using a High Range Copper meter, you need a more sensitive test kit. All that meter is giving you is it’s fudge factor margin of error. I’d at least try another kit to see if it agrees with the Hanna.
I have a salifest copper test kit. I tested on the new salt water mix that gave me 0.08 and 0.04 ppm (via hanna checker) and i got zero. Mind you, it's hard to see but it appears to be clear compared to the reference colors. Best way is to bite it and send in an ICP test

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I know I said lastly... but another thought crossed my mind, and at my age that's rare so I want to tell the world all about it lol.

Just to be certain no items, equipment, rocks, etc from your qt system is used or placed in the dr? Also are you using any old jebao pumps, first gen DC pumps as return or wave maker?
I did not use any equipment from the QT. I checked the heaters and pumps in the sump. Completely cleaned out the sump and found nothing. DT has MP40 (which I changed out the wet side).

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my thoughts. I would use your rodi as my control (except icp and hanna are in conflict so the data won't be that valid), but I would test rodi water twice and see if my results are duplicated. Then test rodi in my mixing container and see if I can duplicate those results, then add the salt mix to the container and test for duplicate results. See where the big gain in numbers are at.

I would also test my tap water to see how much copper is in my tap water.

Lastly, you said you changed filters... you didn't mess with your sediment filter at all? I'm wondering if maybe some raw water got past your sediment filter as you were changing filters.
Sounds like a plan: Tomorrow I'll test the RODI water twice before it goes into the container. Once the container is filled I'll take another 2 test to confirm. After adding the salt mix and letting it mix i'll take the final 2 test. Hopefully it will show us where the copper is coming from.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested a new salt water I mixed yesterday. Small chance it might be the container (which tested 0.08 and 0.04 ppm) that might be contaminated with copper? I am going to mix another one today in a different container and see how it turns out.

IMG_1607.jpg IMG_1606.jpg

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of container are you mixing your saltwater in? Are you storing it in this container for an extended period? Has anything from your qt system been in this container at all?

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you said you replaced some filters on your rodi system. How much water did you flush through it before you began collecting the water?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted above, none of these meter values are real or useful. That meter is not suitable for detecting the low levels of copper in an ordinary reef tank.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of container are you mixing your saltwater in? Are you storing it in this container for an extended period? Has anything from your qt system been in this container at all?
Its the 5 gallon white container. I would mix it for 16-24 hrs before I use it. So it does not stay in there long.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you said you replaced some filters on your rodi system. How much water did you flush through it before you began collecting the water?
Normally whenever I change out the carbon block and DI resin, I would rinse the new carbon block and would flush the RODI unit for about 5 minutes.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted above, none of these meter values are real or useful. That meter is not suitable for detecting the low levels of copper in an ordinary reef tank.
Randy, beside the ICP test, do you recommend any other test for copper? I have the hanna and salifest test. So these values i am getting are negligible then?

RazorRamon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same issue with my fritz rpm salt. I checked my ro water 0 according to the same hanna kit. I check my fritz rpm mix in one of my buckets Cu was 0.03, my tank was 0.10, my other bucket was 0.10. All my snails and corals look happy. I would say the hanna is not accurate after a certain range. Get an ICP test, unique corals does them now in the U.S., turn around time is way faster! I also have never ever used copper in any tank.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. I mailed out an ICP test a few days ago. Based on other folk the hanna checker has +/- 0.05.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested a new salt water I mixed yesterday. Small chance it might be the container (which tested 0.08 and 0.04 ppm) that might be contaminated with copper? I am going to mix another one today in a different container and see how it turns out.

IMG_1607.jpg IMG_1606.jpg

Those are unreliable readings below the Hanna claimed accuracy of +/- 0.05 ppm.

There is no evidence of copper.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my ICP test back today for my RODI water: ICP came back as zero copper, while the same RODI water tested 0.03ppm on my Hanna Checker.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my ICP test back today for my RODI water: ICP came back as zero copper, while the same RODI water tested 0.03ppm on my Hanna Checker.

That is to be expected, as Randy and others pointed out, hanna has a .05ppm accuracy range. That checker you are using is only really meant for monitoring a tank that is being treated with copper, which is usually 2ppm or a little higher. It is not meant for and can not read low resolution.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your initial copper amount from ICP? Don't forget they are giving you copper in parts per BILLION not parts per MILLION. Big difference.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your initial copper amount from ICP? Don't forget they are giving you copper in parts per BILLION not parts per MILLION. Big difference.
The Initial ICP test was zero for my RODI and 4.85 Microgram/liter (0.00485 ppm) in my DT. My recent ICP test yielded zero for both RODI and DT.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back