Copper poisoning

Reefer Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been away for a few days. Came home and three wrasses and a zebra moray are all dying. Checked ammonia 0 nitrite 0 checked copper and it’s .8 copper power. I’m pretty sure my grandson was experimenting when my daughter wasn’t looking. The fish are gasping faded colors and can swim upright. The eel gasping and not moving. They were all moved to new tanks 0 copper. Is there any treatment I can do or are they goners?

OP
OP
R

Reefer Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been away for a few days. Came home and three wrasses and a zebra moray are all dying. Checked ammonia 0 nitrite 0 checked copper and it’s .8 copper power. I’m pretty sure my grandson was experimenting when my daughter wasn’t looking. The fish are gasping faded colors and can swim upright. The eel gasping and not moving. They were all moved to new tanks 0 copper. Is there any treatment I can do or are they goners?

OP
OP
R

Reefer Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant the fish can’t swim upright laying on their sides or upside down

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd thing for him to be playing with... make sure HE is ok. You did the right thing getting them into clean water. I imagine that your CUC is toast. So far as the fish, I don't know that there is an antidote... maybe someone more verses in chemistry can jump in... @Randy Holmes-Farley ?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Hope they make it. I've never encountered a copper overdose nor have I ever read about any sort of antidote (humans do). I moving to clean water, as you did, is all you can do. Just hope they can clear the copper and their organs aren't too damaged....

@Jay Hemdal might know if there is anything to be done....

OP
OP
R

Reefer Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Hope they make it. I've never encountered a copper overdose nor have I ever read about any sort of antidote (humans do). I moving to clean water, as you did, is all you can do. Just hope they can clear the copper and their organs aren't too damaged....

@Jay Hemdal might know if there is anything to be done....
Thanks
Odd thing for him to be playing with... make sure HE is ok. You did the right thing getting them into clean water. I imagine that your CUC is toast. So far as the fish, I don't know that there is an antidote... maybe someone more verses in chemistry can jump in... @Randy Holmes-Farley ?
yeah, he loves the fish and likes watching me mix salt and dose my reef. He says he didn’t do anything, but I’m sure he’s scared to get into trouble. Thankfully they were all in qt and not in the display or god forbid the reef with all the corals.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

yeah, he loves the fish and likes watching me mix salt and dose my reef. He says he didn’t do anything, but I’m sure he’s scared to get into trouble. Thankfully they were all in qt and not in the display or god forbid the reef with all the corals.
Do you have an ATO on the QT? If not, any chance there was enough evaporation to raise the copper to .8?

OP
OP
R

Reefer Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an ATO on the QT? If not, any chance there was enough evaporation to raise the copper to .8?
No. I didn’t dose copper at all. Wrasses and eels are super sensitive to copper. There should have been 0 copper. The only reason I thought to test for it, was because I could tell they were poisoned by something and it was right next to the tank on the bench.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I didn’t dose copper at all. Wrasses and eels are super sensitive to copper. There should have been 0 copper. The only reason I thought to test for it, was because I could tell they were poisoned by something and it was right next to the tank on the bench.
Good thinking! Hope they make it.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can treat the tank with cuprisorb to absorb the copper that will remove most of the copper from your tank (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cuprisorb-copper-remover-resin-seachem.html). Copper poisoning in humans can be treated with penicillamine (https://www.cfspharmacy.pharmacy/pe...CKil2V9yatI4avH-Ri8Dv5xT64IOWxOsaAqBiEALw_wcB). I don't know if this is safe in fish, but it is used for both human and animal copper overdose. I would suggest no more than 10 mg of penicillamine per kg of fish given in the food. Here's a link to some basic information on copper sulfate toxicity and treatment (see: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK557456/). I realize you may not be able to obtain penicillamine in a timely manner so you could try the amino acid cysteine, which is closely related to penicillamine (one of the building blocks of penicillin). Cysteine is a common supplement sold at health food stores (here's a link to information on cysteine for treating copper poisoning, see: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3298579/). Cysteine is also found in food and clams have one of the highest levels.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back