Copper removal in tank?

skmcobra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an amount of copper in a tank that inverts like shrimp and crabs can handle? I had to treat my tank with Copper Power for Velvet after Rally by Ruby Reef didn't do the job. I'm using both Cuprisorb and ChemiPure to remove the copper but after about two weeks still show about .5 on the tests. I was up to about 1.75 at one point before beginning the removal process. I realize I can never put corals into the tank now but can crabs, shrimp, and even possibly and anemone handle a particular amount?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I'm aware of. Issue is if you dosed copper in a tank with rock it's going to continually leach out. Anemones absolutely cannot handle copper in any amount. You could run a poly filter pad and that might bring it down some. But chances are you'll always have a measurable amount of copper in the tank.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still show .05 on my Hanna. Although ati test says undetectable. Sticks are doing fine. Leave the cuprasorb in for a while.

image.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still show .05 on my Hanna. Although ati test says undetectable. Sticks are doing fine. Leave the cuprasorb in for a while.

image.jpg
The Hannah's accuracy is +-.05 so you could actually be at 0 :)

OP
OP
skmcobra

skmcobra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Cuprisorb states that you should continue to use it two weeks after a zero reading due to leaching.

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how you went and if you had continued to use it for 2 weeks? I'll be in a similar situation and will start using cuprisorb.

OP
OP
skmcobra

skmcobra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how you went and if you had continued to use it for 2 weeks? I'll be in a similar situation and will start using cuprisorb.
I’ve been using it for a month and still showing .2-.3 in tests. I haven’t introduced any inverts yet.

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it goes well for you, do keep us updated as I will be starting it soon! One month seems like such a long time :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back