Copper still kicking my butt in DT

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I ha e bought 3 different boxes, 1 from amazon and 2 from my LFS and they all show the same thing. Also i have never added copper to my DT, infact i didnt even have a QT until recently when most of my fish died to velvet, had a dino problem that got really bad but im currently beating it since ive gotten my phosphates up to 0.10 ( i know its a little high but i had to do it do help with dinos.
I would contact either the vendor where you got the hanna checker or hanna themselves.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where were the corals that you lost? How long has this tank been running?
Tanks been running for 7 months so far, i started with some zoas and mushrooms which where doing great ( my bobmarley grew from 5 polyps to 10 in less then 2 months) but then evrything started going downhill once i got dinos. Now only GSP, xenias and a leather coral are doing good. The corals that i got i had them on a frag rack almost on the sandbed for about a week and brought them up 1 inch each week but they started to fade in color and die.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would contact either the vendor where you got the hanna checker or hanna themselves.
Interesting i will deff try that out, i will also test the water with someone elses hanna checker perhaps the LFS to be sure. This is so strange to me.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have marinepure blocks been known to leech copper? I heard they can leech aluminum but hanna copper checkers wouldnt read that as copper right since its also a metal?

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still sure you don’t have copper problem as it would be affecting all corals. Not sure what your issue or issues are but it’s not copper.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my 2 blood shrimp and all my snails are doing perfectly fine, infact i see my nassarious snails laying eggs all the time.

From my experience, if the copper was high enough to kill your corals, it would kill your inverts first. I'd be surprised if your ICP came back with anything other than 0.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still sure you don’t have copper problem as it would be affecting all corals. Not sure what your issue or issues are but it’s not copper.
Yea good point, im at a lost here can dinos really kill corals like that? Its mostly on the sand now and slowly going away.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, if the copper was high enough to kill your corals, it would kill your inverts first. I'd be surprised if your ICP came back with anything other than 0.
Good point i always thought inverts would start dying too but instead they are doing perfectly fine, blood shrimps moltin every month ( which always freaks me out lol) once the test comes ill post it here to see what can be lacking.

kyleThatGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said most of your fish was wiped out maybe because there’s no more fish the water was stripped of nutrients that’s all I can think of if everything else is perfect

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said most of your fish was wiped out maybe because there’s no more fish the water was stripped of nutrients that’s all I can think of if everything else is perfect
Yea i had to leave the tank fallow for 76 days, i just added the 3 fish left alive 2 days ago, but i have been dosing phosphates and nitrates to keep them at:
Nitrate 10ppm
Phosphate: 0.10 ( it was at 0 during the dino outbreak a couple of months ago somaybe that was the culprit

kyleThatGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino normally shows up in ultra low nutrients tanks and you said they slowly died over like 3 weeks so could just be slowly starving to death

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok lets see what this icp test shows! You guys are awesome btw

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley have you ever seen something like this happen?
Yes, quite a few folks are getting what I think is a bad reading.

I do not think this checker is suitable for copper measurement in an operating reef tanks.

I've not seen a single person report a confirmation of such a reading by ICP,
and it is extremely rare to see anyone report such a reading by ICP (I don't recall any, but there might be some), while these checkers seem to do it all the time.

My conclusion: stop using it. Stop looking for copper sources. Get an ICP test if you are worried.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, quite a few folks are getting what I think is a bad reading.

I do not think this checker is suitable for copper measurement in an operating reef tanks.

I've not seen a single person report a confirmation of such a reading by ICP,
and it is extremely rare to see anyone report such a reading by ICP (I don't recall any, but there might be some), while these checkers seem to do it all the time.

My conclusion: stop using it. Stop looking for copper sources. Get an ICP test if you are worried.
Thanks for the help hopefully the icp test comes this week, now im worried because ive been using that hanna checker for my QT aswell so theres a possibility that it was reading the right amount of copper for the treatment of velvet and ich.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news the icp finally arrived and there is no copper in my system as you guys said. The only thing that is high is aluminum and antimony? Iodine seems to be pretty low aswell. Any suggestions?
Screenshot_20200505-093210_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200505-093235_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20200505-093225_Samsung Internet.jpg

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news the icp finally arrived and there is no copper in my system as you guys said. The only thing that is high is aluminum and antimony? Iodine seems to be pretty low aswell. Any suggestions?
Screenshot_20200505-093210_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200505-093235_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20200505-093225_Samsung Internet.jpg
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but all I see in the report is a bunch of ∅ readings. How can that be?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back