Copper treatment and the use of diatom filter

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi does anyone have experience with the use of a diatom filter while treating a tank with copper? Since it only remove particles would it remove the copper? Thanks

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi does anyone have experience with the use of a diatom filter while treating a tank with copper? Since it only remove particles would it remove the copper? Thanks

Don't think it would, but why use it during treatment? Ich?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatom will not remove copper. I have to wonder why you’d use both, however? Copper kills the parasite before it would be collected, anyway.

OP
OP
T

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but what if you are dealing with flukes or something not affected by the copper. Sometimes you could be dealing with ich and flukes. Just a thought Thanks

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue i foresee is the diatom filter is not going to be 100% effective at removing any parasite from the water. There are going to be some missed. Now where a diatom filter may benefit a qt would be its extreme mechanical filtration and left over food, removing before they have the ability to breakdown into nutrients. But not sure if the amount removed would be worth the effort though.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but what if you are dealing with flukes or something not affected by the copper. Sometimes you could be dealing with ich and flukes. Just a thought Thanks

Meds, in my opinion, are going to be way more effective.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your point, I personally try to avoid prazi-based meds during copper because of the issues you can have maintaining 02, bacterial blooms etc. So, I can see the appeal of having the filter to relieve symptoms in the interim. I tend to prefer to keep things simple in QT though.

Since it wouldn’t actually remove the flukes ON the fish, a freshwater dip would provide more immediate relief. And I would still plan on treating with medications after copper to be sure the flukes are eradicated.

OP
OP
T

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but the problem is when your dealing with large fish tanks it very hard to catch fish without stressing everyone out which is bad when they are sick !!! You usually only get one shot especially with large angels or tangs

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back