Flashing during coppersafe treatment

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a purple tang in QT with a starry blenny. Has been in coppersafe since 2/10 or so with lowest reading of 2.10 and highest 2.44 for copper via hanna checker. Noticed some flashing initially prior to copper treatment but then it appeared to stop. He's been in copper ~17 days and now aggressively flashing today against a pvc elbow.

I would imagine the first recommendation would be a freshwater dip. Let me preface this by saying all of my buckets were used in a tank move over the weekend with a tank that never quarantined. If I use one am I introducing risk or should I just start prazi? I have had an airstone going the entire time along with a HOB filter rated for 2.5x the volume of this tank. For reference at times I see him flash against pvc 5-10x in 30 seconds, then stop for a bit. If a video is needed I can get one.

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no visual signs of ich or velvet, my guess would be flukes. You can do a fresh water dip to confirm. Is so, treat with prazipro.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have a purple tang in QT with a starry blenny. Has been in coppersafe since 2/10 or so with lowest reading of 2.10 and highest 2.44 for copper via hanna checker. Noticed some flashing initially prior to copper treatment but then it appeared to stop. He's been in copper ~17 days and now aggressively flashing today against a pvc elbow.

I would imagine the first recommendation would be a freshwater dip. Let me preface this by saying all of my buckets were used in a tank move over the weekend with a tank that never quarantined. If I use one am I introducing risk or should I just start prazi? I have had an airstone going the entire time along with a HOB filter rated for 2.5x the volume of this tank. For reference at times I see him flash against pvc 5-10x in 30 seconds, then stop for a bit. If a video is needed I can get one.
Your copper range is fluctuating from low to high and needs to be steady at 2.25 - 2.5 level for a full 30 days. While flukes is a possibility increase copper to 2.25 for remaining 13 days, do a good water change and change to prazi dosing at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FW dips are really only a diagnostic tool, they don’t cure flukes. Many fish get beat up when people try to catch them for a dip. Finally, only one type of fluke is large enough to see in the dip water without a microscope. So - I’d skip that.

Your copper treatment/dose is ok., but won’t control flukes. You have two choices: wait until 30 days and then do a partial water change and start a praziquantel treatment, or run the prazi now, along with copper. Doing that can be stressful, so I only do that if the fluke symptoms are really severe; constant scratching, rapid breathing, cloudy eyes.

Jay

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I’ll keep an eye on him today and try to make a determination since there’s still close to two weeks left on copper.

The copper level is fairly stable in that tank, it was on it high end initially (lowered with WC) and has stayed 2.10-2.25. Realistically it drops 0.01 every couple of days. I haven’t had to correct or add more on account of drastic drops. I’ll bump it up over 2.25 for the remaining days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back