Hippo Tang flashing

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short. 6 fish in 10 gallon treatment tank. Hippo tang, Foxface, 2 Firefish, YWG and Flame Hawkfish. Coppersafe started on 12/11 and levels have been consistent at around 2.5 via Hanna checker, but did dip to around 2.1 a couple of days ago.

Tang started flashing 3 days ago, and considering treatment has been going well and copper doesn’t treat flukes I pulled him and did a 5 minute FW dip with tap water. Didn’t see anything in the container afterwards, but offered relief for about a day.

That prompted me to dose Prazipro @ 1/2 a teaspoon for 10 gallons the same day as the FW dip. He’s flashing worse than ever today (has been flashing since the 24th) and hanging out by the airstone. Appetite has been less for all fish since the Prazi dose, but all are still eating flakes, pellets and Reef Frenzy.

I don’t see anything externally, but perhaps he’s a little less blue than normal.

Any advice for next steps? Not due for more Prazipro, but have plenty on hand if it’s ok to dose again now.

No other fish are showing symptoms, but I have wondered if the Foxface is breathing a little fast. I’ll post video once he’s out and about.

#fishmedic

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s video of the Tang and the Foxface. It does appear that there are some bumps/spots with the video zoomed in. Not sure what I’m dealing with.

#fishmedic

Tell me if it’s a bad idea, but should a dip or bath be in order, would the microwave be ok vs. waiting for a heater?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here’s video of the Tang and the Foxface. It does appear that there are some bumps/spots with the video zoomed in. Not sure what I’m dealing with.

#fishmedic

Tell me if it’s a bad idea, but should a dip or bath be in order, would the microwave be ok vs. waiting for a heater?

Can’t tell if it’s nipping at the rock or scratching
As a safeguard as flukes will be suspect- praziquantel which is prazi pro will be best
Additionally, general cure may help
Freshwater dip offers temporary relief and not a cure

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

#fishmedic

I've never used a microwave to heat seawater, but it should be o.k.

I'm concerned about the number of fish you have in a 10 gallon tank. Is the ammonia level at or near zero?

Jay

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used a microwave to heat seawater, but it should be o.k.

I'm concerned about the number of fish you have in a 10 gallon tank. Is the ammonia level at or near zero?

Jay
I’ve only got the Seachem badges. 3 of them to be precise. They’re showing less than .05, but more than .02. I’ve been doing 3-5 gallon water changes every other day, but not sure if that’s going to be too often with using Prazipro. I think I recall it remaining effective for about 2 days?

I’m fairly certain even with the low level of ammonia, that’s not the problem. Not entirely anyway. The Tang and maybe the Foxface are the only two that seem affected.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He appears to be scratching his upper area of the head on rocks, and runs into the bubble stream both actions seem to be trying to remove something (parasite?)

Lots of fish in a ten gallon, stress is not going to help, potentially the cause.

I’d watch him very very carefully to see if it progresses and may become visible.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He appears to be scratching his upper area of the head on rocks, and runs into the bubble stream both actions seem to be trying to remove something (parasite?)

Lots of fish in a ten gallon, stress is not going to help, potentially the cause.

I’d watch him very very carefully to see if it progresses and may become visible.
That’s what’s confusing me. Everything was good from 12/11 until the 24th. No apparent stress the first two weeks, but I suppose he could have become tired of cramped quarters. I’m concerned that if anything shows up I won’t be able to discern disease or mechanical damage.

I’m treating with Prazi now. Is there a parasite that doesn’t respond to copper or Prazi? I have Ruby Rally Pro as well, but I don’t think mixing 3 meds at once would be a good idea. I suppose I could cut the copper, but my plan was 30 days, then another 2 weeks with Prazi, two weeks observation and then back to the DT.

Apparently my plans have changed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 126 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back