Purple Tang with Ich, now has popeye or damage to eyes?

Sambino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly 3 weeks ago I got this purple tang and I admit that I did give the fish ich by not thinking through placing a hang-on-back filter that I had running on a coral QT onto this tank. As soon as I noticed the ich, I raised my copper level in the tank to 2.30ppm using copper power and within a few days the white spots were gone. I have been testing the copper levels in my quarantine tanks using my Hanna checker and I keep the seachem ammonia alert badges in the tanks to monitor ammonia at all times. The purple tang has no ammonia in it's tank according to the badge and copper has remained above 2.30ppm for the past 2 weeks. However, this past Saturday I noticed that my purple tang has a pretty bad case of ich, now for the second time, while doing my water changes but it was still eating food and it was already in copper above 2.0ppm so I didn't think that there was much else to do for the fish aside from just let it be. Yesterday I noticed that the purple tang stopped eating and was doing a ton of flashing against the pvc hide that is in the tank. Today I noticed as soon as I turned the aquarium lights on that he definitely has a bad case of ich, but now also may have popeye in both eyes. Is it more likely that this could just be damage from the flashing? Is there something that I could do in order to help him out a little bit more that won't overly stress him out?
On kind of a side note, is it possible that this is still that same ich from 2 weeks ago and it's running its course? What's the best way to proceed with this fish and give him the best possibility of survival?

All of the medications that I have are: Metroplex, Copper Power, Rally Pro, Kick-Ich Pro, Prazi Pro, and Nitrofurazone. I also have formalin solution but would rather not expose myself to the formaldehyde if its not necessary.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Pictures and video below for reference.
IMG_1859.jpg
IMG_1860.jpg

Thanks!
-Sam

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is the protocol for quarantined fish. If not followed you could end with repeat cases.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was the fish in copper for? If not the full 30 days, then there’s a risk of some surviving.
It’s unlikely (though possible) that the ich came in on a filter, more likely it was in the fish and didn’t pop up for a bit.
As for the popeye, that can come from a secondary bacterial infection due to ich. Treatment of choice will be an antibiotic like kanamycin or erythromycin.

OP
OP
S

Sambino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was the fish in copper for? If not the full 30 days, then there’s a risk of some surviving.
It’s unlikely (though possible) that the ich came in on a filter, more likely it was in the fish and didn’t pop up for a bit.
As for the popeye, that can come from a secondary bacterial infection due to ich. Treatment of choice will be an antibiotic like kanamycin or erythromycin.
Today will be the 18th day that the fish will be in copper (started on March 1st at 2.30ppm). Could Nitrofurazone be used to help with the popeye or would something like Kanaplex be better to use? Could Nitrofurazone be used in the meantime until I get Kanaplex to provide some sort of relief?

Thanks!
-Sam

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Roughly 3 weeks ago I got this purple tang and I admit that I did give the fish ich by not thinking through placing a hang-on-back filter that I had running on a coral QT onto this tank. As soon as I noticed the ich, I raised my copper level in the tank to 2.30ppm using copper power and within a few days the white spots were gone. I have been testing the copper levels in my quarantine tanks using my Hanna checker and I keep the seachem ammonia alert badges in the tanks to monitor ammonia at all times. The purple tang has no ammonia in it's tank according to the badge and copper has remained above 2.30ppm for the past 2 weeks. However, this past Saturday I noticed that my purple tang has a pretty bad case of ich, now for the second time, while doing my water changes but it was still eating food and it was already in copper above 2.0ppm so I didn't think that there was much else to do for the fish aside from just let it be. Yesterday I noticed that the purple tang stopped eating and was doing a ton of flashing against the pvc hide that is in the tank. Today I noticed as soon as I turned the aquarium lights on that he definitely has a bad case of ich, but now also may have popeye in both eyes. Is it more likely that this could just be damage from the flashing? Is there something that I could do in order to help him out a little bit more that won't overly stress him out?
On kind of a side note, is it possible that this is still that same ich from 2 weeks ago and it's running its course? What's the best way to proceed with this fish and give him the best possibility of survival?

All of the medications that I have are: Metroplex, Copper Power, Rally Pro, Kick-Ich Pro, Prazi Pro, and Nitrofurazone. I also have formalin solution but would rather not expose myself to the formaldehyde if its not necessary.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Pictures and video below for reference.
IMG_1859.jpg
IMG_1860.jpg

Thanks!
-Sam
Ich has a higher life than 2 weeks and likely not dosed long enough and take it to level 2.5 for a FULL 30 days while monitoring the ammonia level
Popeye may be from water quality but also injury
If eye gets worse, add kanaplex

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To confirm. You added the copper to the newly mixed saltwater prior to adding it to the tank during water changes? If it drops below at any point you have to start clock over. I suggest your keep it closer to 2.4-2.6

Nitrofurazone is effective against positive gram bacteria so could help but kanaplex is more ideal.

Make sure water quality is top of mind. This is so important during the qt process.

OP
OP
S

Sambino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To confirm. You added the copper to the newly mixed saltwater prior to adding it to the tank during water changes? If it drops below at any point you have to start clock over. I suggest your keep it closer to 2.4-2.6

Nitrofurazone is effective against positive gram bacteria so could help but kanaplex is more ideal.

Make sure water quality is top of mind. This is so important during the qt process.
Yes, I pre-dose the mixed saltwater before adding it to the tank and test it three times to make sure that my copper levels are around 2.3ppm, however now I will get it closer to 2.5ppm before doing my water changes. I will go ahead and order some Kanaplex off of Amazon so that I can have it on hand tomorrow, I would get it today but my LFS is closed on Mondays.

Thank you everyone for your help!
For now my plan is to get the copper level closer to 2.5ppm and to not start the '30-day clock' until the fish is symptom free. If the popeye get's worse I will go ahead and treat the tank with Kanaplex.

Thanks!
-Sam

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would consider kanamycin (kanaplex) - for the tang. Hope this helps

OP
OP
S

Sambino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got off work (i work from home) and went to check in on the fish and feed them like I normally do and now the purple tang has either a red, swollen mouth or something red is coming out of it's mouth. What could be the cause of this and how could I treat the fish?
IMG_1863.jpg

Thanks!
-Sam

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got off work (i work from home) and went to check in on the fish and feed them like I normally do and now the purple tang has either a red, swollen mouth or something red is coming out of it's mouth. What could be the cause of this and how could I treat the fish?
IMG_1863.jpg

Thanks!
-Sam
I don't see what you're seeing (in the mouth). EdIT - but red - and tissue generally means bacterial infection

OP
OP
S

Sambino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1864.jpg

Hopefully this video and the enlarged photo shows his mouth a little better. It looks to me like the lips are swollen and red.
I managed to find some Kanaplex that is still good in my freshwater medicine stash so I went ahead and dosed the tank. Hopefully he won't get any worse.

Thanks!
-Sam

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1864.jpg

Hopefully this video and the enlarged photo shows his mouth a little better. It looks to me like the lips are swollen and red.
I managed to find some Kanaplex that is still good in my freshwater medicine stash so I went ahead and dosed the tank. Hopefully he won't get any worse.

Thanks!
-Sam
Could the tang have gotten startled and rammed into something?

Kanamycin can be used to treat secondary bacterial infections, but I prefer neomycin.

Jay

OP
OP
S

Sambino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the tang have gotten startled and rammed into something?

Kanamycin can be used to treat secondary bacterial infections, but I prefer neomycin.

Jay
Yes, it is possible that he got startled and rammed into the rock that i rubber band nori to or maybe even the heater or pvc pipe as he sometimes hides around those most of the time. Since I've already dosed the kanamycin I will go ahead and wait to see if it gets any better, but if it doesn't get any better then would it be safe to add neomycin instead after 2 days?

Thanks!
-Sam

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is possible that he got startled and rammed into the rock that i rubber band nori to or maybe even the heater or pvc pipe as he sometimes hides around those most of the time. Since I've already dosed the kanamycin I will go ahead and wait to see if it gets any better, but if it doesn't get any better then would it be safe to add neomycin instead after 2 days?

Thanks!
-Sam
No - antibiotics can take 5 to 7 days to work, so changing them too soon won’t give them time to work.

OP
OP
S

Sambino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - antibiotics can take 5 to 7 days to work, so changing them too soon won’t give them time to work.
Okay, if that's the case and considering I've already dosed the tank with kanamycin, I will continue to use kanamycin and hope that the fish improves over the next week or two.
Thanks for your help!
-Sam

OP
OP
S

Sambino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1868.jpg

So far the fish is looking much better, I am on my 2nd dose of kanaplex per the dosing instructions and am considering a 3rd dose later today because his mouth is still a little red.
He's still not eating so I am a little concerned about that, but plan to try to offer him some fresh nori that is soaked in a little garlic guard later today. Is it possible that the medications are just making him very lethargic at the moment or that his mouth is still too injured to eat?

Thanks!
-Sam

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
L
IMG_1868.jpg

So far the fish is looking much better, I am on my 2nd dose of kanaplex per the dosing instructions and am considering a 3rd dose later today because his mouth is still a little red.
He's still not eating so I am a little concerned about that, but plan to try to offer him some fresh nori that is soaked in a little garlic guard later today. Is it possible that the medications are just making him very lethargic at the moment or that his mouth is still too injured to eat?

Thanks!
-Sam
Likely the infection is giving him trouble with eating. I had a similar issue with a Jack Dempsey and a mouth infection, and he didn’t really eat until it cleared up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back