Copperband are they ick magnets?

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also remember, Jorge, QT is not just a place to discover and treat an illness. It's also a sanctuary to give a newly arrived fish a place to 'rest', develop a feeding regimen, and build up it's strength and fatty reserves enough to compete in an admittedly smallish tank. IMO, this is especially important for Copperbands, who are initially a bit timid and weak to begin with. Not only would just tossing them into your DT stress them into not eating anything including Aiptasia, it could cause the very ick outbreak you're so concerned about. Especially buying online; think about what that fish had to go through to just get to you. At this point 'give it a rest' should take on a much more important meaning. QT, brother.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the file does well with Aptasia removal, it also has a history of going after corals, zoas in particular.

Both file and cbb are known to potentially do this.
I've had about 7 CBB's over the years, pretty much all were different in what they did or ate, I had one that only ate pods and nothing else, and I had plenty of pods but also had a pair of mandarins so he had to go, then I had some ate aptasia, some only aptasia and no prep'd foods, and some that picked at softies, and forget about ever having feathers or gorgonians w/ pretty much all.
I did have 2 model citizens that ate apt and prep'd food and never harmed corals

The one advantage I see in trying a file, is they are fairly easy to catch if you don't like what they are doing, much more so than CBB, but CBB's are prettier.
Some say the Australian ones are better for eating aptasia
I just looked on liveaquaria and they are $179! That's way more than I've ever paid

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vendor has a qt and only sells of their :) never ha d a problem for years with him

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both file and cbb are known to potentially do this.
I've had about 7 CBB's over the years, pretty much all were different in what they did or ate, I had one that only ate pods and nothing else, and I had plenty of pods but also had a pair of mandarins so he had to go, then I had some ate aptasia, some only aptasia and no prep'd foods, and some that picked at softies, and forget about ever having feathers or gorgonians w/ pretty much all.
I did have 2 model citizens that ate apt and prep'd food and never harmed corals

The one advantage I see in trying a file, is they are fairly easy to catch if you don't like what they are doing, much more so than CBB, but CBB's are prettier.
Some say the Australian ones are better for eating aptasia
I just looked on liveaquaria and they are $179! That's way more than I've ever paid

I just got a medium size one from my LFS for $40

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I got the copper band as I don’t want to loose my zoas :(
Good choice, peaceful and will work out for you. If not, easier to re-sell than a file

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree a Tank Breed file fish would be your best bet . Live Aquaria is where we got ours.. We also have a CBB . That seems to be growing like a week. Its a bit over a year in our tank and was kinda small. They Do seem to be VERY Delicate Fish . One of the Most beautiful and Super active fish . Mine chases pods more then Aiptasia. it also eats bristle worms.

Good Luck ..

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree a Tank Breed file fish would be your best bet . Live Aquaria is where we got ours.. We also have a CBB . That seems to be growing like a week. Its a bit over a year in our tank and was kinda small. They Do seem to be VERY Delicate Fish . One of the Most beautiful and Super active fish . Mine chases pods more then Aiptasia. it also eats bristle worms.

Good Luck ..

I actually just ordered a ORA tank bred file last night, should be here tomorrow, hope it does the job!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice, peaceful and will work out for you. If not, easier to re-sell than a file

I don't know, we have a couple that have been passed around on our local forum pretty often, they get snatched up pretty quick, why I just ordered an ORA tank bred file

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just ordered a ORA tank bred file last night, should be here tomorrow, hope it does the job!
I really like ours. Its a super fun to watch fish . Watching it hover over the rocks face down looking for and Snatching up pods. Of the Evening Like right now it comes to the front of the tank and goes from end to end snatching Pods that are landing on the Glass. Super peaceful and nobody bothers them either Not even our EVIL Hawaiian Hawk Fish the Tank bully

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pay for mine 15 dollars median size and 18 dollars for a file fish

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 52 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.8%
Back