Copperband butterfly has white small bumps OH NO>!

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was =gifted this australian copperbanded butterfly fish, from a friend who is wholesaler. He had like 15 in the large tank. I got one that was about 2 inches long. I posted earlier in Fish thread that I was having problems seeing him eat frozen food, though he roots around the live rocks and corals, and sand and macro algae, and i can see him jab or pic at something with this mouth occasionally. Today is the 6th day, and for the past 2 days I noticed white bumps on his dorsal fins, and 2 white small areas on top and bottom of caudal fin, and maybe one bump on one of his pectoral fins. HE still roots around and looks like he is going for stuff in the sand or live rock. Today I added some live black worms, but didnt see him eat it.
NOW>>>>>>>>>>> IS this ICH that my CBB has ? I will attach a video.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So i was =gifted this australian copperbanded butterfly fish, from a friend who is wholesaler. He had like 15 in the large tank. I got one that was about 2 inches long. I posted earlier in Fish thread that I was having problems seeing him eat frozen food, though he roots around the live rocks and corals, and sand and macro algae, and i can see him jab or pic at something with this mouth occasionally. Today is the 6th day, and for the past 2 days I noticed white bumps on his dorsal fins, and 2 white small areas on top and bottom of caudal fin, and maybe one bump on one of his pectoral fins. HE still roots around and looks like he is going for stuff in the sand or live rock. Today I added some live black worms, but didnt see him eat it.
Need pics at minimum but suspect lymphocystis which they are susceptible to

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it looks like grains of salt it’s probably ich. If it looks like powdered sugar probably velvet. Copperbands are tough for experienced reefers even when they don’t have ich, I think odds are not good here if I’m being honest

OP
OP
O

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pics

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpeg
    IMG_0214.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0212.jpeg
    IMG_0212.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0213.jpeg
    IMG_0213.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 76

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here are pics
Yes, this is lympho. Copperbands have gotten much easier and rarely get ich. Lympho is a condition and not disease. Often its associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS nano frenzy and mysis shrimp.

OP
OP
O

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
O

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this is lympho. Copperbands have gotten much easier and rarely get ich. Lympho is a condition and not disease. Often it’s associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS nano frenzy and mysis shrimp.
I have not been able to get him to eat. Is this condition contagious ?
The mated pair of tomato clowns seem to be ok. But I just added today a blue tang. About 1.5 inches long blue tang ! Will it spread to blue tang. ?
Do I need to take out CBB ? Freshwater dip ?

Attachments

• IMG_0215.mov
    31.6 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have not been able to get him to eat. Is this condition contagious ?
The mated pair of tomato clowns seem to be ok. But I just added today a blue tang. About 1.5 inches long blue tang ! Will it spread to blue tang. ?
Do I need to take out CBB ? Freshwater dip ?
Not contagious and when new to a tank they can be finicky. Some enticers to eat are :
Hikari clam on a half shell
Live Blackworms
At times, massticks food pressed onto glass or rock
LRS herbivore diet

OP
OP
O

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the stresses of transporting the fish 6 hrs from Los Angeles to Bay Area. Plus the CBB initial shyness , Has caused physical stresses on him. The tomato clowns do not bother him. And when I was acclimating the blue tang. The CBB even went up to the bag to take a look and postured a little.

I will do a water change and check all parameters again

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the stresses of transporting the fish 6 hrs from Los Angeles to Bay Area. Plus the CBB initial shyness , Has caused physical stresses on him. The tomato clowns do not bother him. And when I was acclimating the blue tang. The CBB even went up to the bag to take a look and postured a little.

I will do a water change and check all parameters again

+1, that is Lymphocystis, new copperbands are very prone to it. It is a viral disease that will go away on its own in a month to 6 weeks (but it might get worse for a time). It rarely infects longer captive fish, so it won't spread.

The non-eating is a separate matter. Is you friend certain these were Australian? Generally, Australian ones feed better, but are typically shipped at a larger size.

You could try live baby brine shrimp or frozen bloodworms.

Jay

OP
OP
O

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, that is Lymphocystis, new copperbands are very prone to it. It is a viral disease that will go away on its own in a month to 6 weeks (but it might get worse for a time). It rarely infects longer captive fish, so it won't spread.

The non-eating is a separate matter. Is you friend certain these were Australian? Generally, Australian ones feed better, but are typically shipped at a larger size.

You could try live baby brine shrimp or frozen bloodworms.

Jay
Thanks jay. That’s a relief.
I tried live blackworks. And frozen blood worms. He did not go for them. So I sprayed them onto the sand bed and algae.

The owner of the distribution center had several tanks and told me the Australian CBB eats better and also eats frozen. But maybe because it was a bare tank full of CBB and they learn and adapt group competition setting ? I did not witness him eating. Which is my bad

I ordered mastick. And will get some brine shrimp today.
Thanks. And I will update

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back