Copperband - Picking at rocks, not accepting frozen

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Copperband today, and while he is picking at the rocks, and was confirmed eating before shipment by DR reef, the little guy won’t take any frozen.

probably still early and don’t want to use clams since I have a maxima.

Anyone with experience have suggestions on when I should start to be more concerned?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the frozen food that you’re feeding it. Is it Brine, Mysis or and “shrimp looking” frozen food? Mine that I’ve had for over 4 years still won’t look at anything unless it’s shaped like a crustacean. Everything else just float right on by.

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search for this topic..its a thread from March.

Tips for getting Copperband butterfly to eat​

I already did. That didn’t answer my question. It clearly answered try clams and bloodworms. I even took the liberty why I chose to not pursue clams, indicating I already looked up that information.

The question was:

Does someone with experience know when you should start to worry? Since he is pecking at rocks he is clearly not on a hunger strike.

Ohiostreetz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
They will last some time without eating prepared foods. How established is your system? Do you have feather dusters and or aiptasia in it? I have kept several copper bands over the years. Best to start them out in a large acclimation box and feed them live black worms mixed with frozen brine and mysis. If he was eating before he will eventually eat again.

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the frozen food that you’re feeding it. Is it Brine, Mysis or and “shrimp looking” frozen food? Mine that I’ve had for over 4 years still won’t look at anything unless it’s shaped like a crustacean. Everything else just float right on by.
It is mysis and brine.

i have some LRS with chunks of krill in it. I could thaw some and put it on a clip if the mysis and brine doesn’t work.

curious how long would you consider before you start to worry given it is pecking at rocks?

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will last some time without eating prepared foods. How established is your system? Do you have feather dusters and or aiptasia in it? I have kept several copper bands over the years. Best to start them out in a large acclimation box and feed them live black worms mixed with frozen brine and mysis. If he was eating before he will eventually eat again.
I have him in my frag tank with lots of apatasia, pods, etc. I can certainly put him back in an acclimation box but the frag tank only has chromies and a young yellow tang which haven’t shown any agrression so I figured it would be better to let him out to pick at pods.

glad to here there is some room before I have to escalate it. In the meantime I have some baby brine going.

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already did. That didn’t answer my question. It clearly answered try clams and bloodworms. I even took the liberty why I chose to not pursue clams, indicating I already looked up that information.

The question was:

Does someone with experience know when you should start to worry? Since he is pecking at rocks he is clearly not on a hunger strike.
My apologies. I missed the true question. I hope you get an answer.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is mysis and brine.

i have some LRS with chunks of krill in it. I could thaw some and put it on a clip if the mysis and brine doesn’t work.

curious how long would you consider before you start to worry given it is pecking at rocks?
If it’s picking at live rock, that’s a really good sign. Mine doesn’t rest at night it constantly picks at rocks. You should also be feeding your CBB at least twice a day. Also CBBs are careful eaters. All of my other fish eat with aggressiveness. So when you feed your fish watch it and the food until it’s gone. Hopefully soon he’ll start eating. Good luck.

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see what others think. The Copperband is still not accepting frozen, I put LRS on an algae grazer for the fish to pick at.

It is constantly scanning the rocks and picks at them once every 3-5 minutes.

Would you start taking more drastic measures or should I assume it is getting the food it needs from the micro fauna?

Also, are they usually this darty/spastic?

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine in QT and he ate everything.

Moved to the display and he stopped eating and died. Was too nervous with tangs, triggers and angles.

Ohiostreetz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Curious to see what others think. The Copperband is still not accepting frozen, I put LRS on an algae grazer for the fish to pick at.

It is constantly scanning the rocks and picks at them once every 3-5 minutes.

Would you start taking more drastic measures or should I assume it is getting the food it needs from the micro fauna?

Also, are they usually this darty/spastic?

He is certainly not getting enough food just grazing in your system. He will eventually starve or if you have ich in your system eventually become a target for them to feed on. If you can I would try to source some live black worms. They normally will always go for them. Just make sure to feed frozen at the same time to get him use to the feeding. Just know not all copperbands will take and he may die.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back