CopperPower not eradicating Ich?

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 inch blue tang in Qt it was in 2.5ppm copper power (tested with the Hanna copper checker) tang was in that level of copper for 11 days without signs of ich out of no where ich turned up again I increased copper to 3.0ppm and still after a week ich is still popping up. Anyone with any experience with copperpower and if I'm doing anything wrong?

There is nothing absorbing in my qt absorbing the copper. So Im pretty confident that's not an issue. Thank you

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing comes to mind... are you sure its ich?
Funny that the fish was fine (ich free). Then developed spots 2 weeks after you start treating it.

OP
OP
R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing comes to mind... are you sure its ich?
Funny that the fish was fine (ich free). Then developed spots 2 weeks after you start treating it.
Sorry forgot to mention the fish had ich. I removed it and 4 others from my dt but since the blue is my only its gonna have a higher chance of having ich. All the other fish which are wrasse have no signs of ich.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The normal protocol calls for 2.0ppm for 30 days or after 14 days, transfer to sterile QT and observe...

What reason did you increase to 2.5 and 3.0ppm for?

OP
OP
R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry forgot to mention the fish had ich. I removed it and 4 others from my dt but since the blue is my only its gonna have a higher chance of having ich. All the other fish which are wrasse have no signs of ich.
I got ich from either corals or snails... which is a massive pain. Because I had covid while it was going on and I lost alot of fish
The normal protocol calls for 2.0ppm for 30 days or after 14 days, transfer to sterile QT and observe...

What reason did you increase to 2.5 and 3.0ppm for?
I researched copper power and it was recommended to bring to 2.0 over course of a couple days then leave for a week and increase to 2.5 and then leave for a month. I then saw if ich still was popping up increase it to 3.0ppm. In the same article(I'll try and find) it says that copper power can safely be brought up to 6.0ppm if need be

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just popping up or also going away? If the fish just gets new spots but the old don't go away after a few days then it isn't ick (Cryptocaryon) but rather something else.
Close-up pictures of the fish and the spots would help.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got ich from either corals or snails... which is a massive pain. Because I had covid while it was going on and I lost alot of fish

I researched copper power and it was recommended to bring to 2.0 over course of a couple days then leave for a week and increase to 2.5 and then leave for a month. I then saw if ich still was popping up increase it to 3.0ppm. In the same article(I'll try and find) it says that copper power can safely be brought up to 6.0ppm if need be
Ive use hotrocks QT protocol multiple times without issue.
Ive never seen it advised to go over 2.5ppm.

OP
OP
R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just popping up or also going away? If the fish just gets new spots but the old don't go away after a few days then it isn't ick (Cryptocaryon) but rather something else.
Close-up pictures of the fish and the spots would help.
My apologies for the poor photos tank glass needs cleaning just waiting for a new scraper to turn up as I don't want to use my DTs one.

Attachments

• 20210627_212357.jpg
    20210627_212357.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210627_212336.jpg
    20210627_212336.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 59

Pattys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies for the poor photos tank glass needs cleaning just waiting for a new scraper to turn up as I don't want to use my DTs one.
Did the fish recover? I have a brown tang and has the same spots but on fins too

I have had it in copper for 2 weeks now

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back