coquina snails and sand fleas

  • Thread starter Thread starter jiffy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jiffy

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
951
Reaction score
6
Location
FLA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
collected hundreds at the beach, are they reef safe?
 
I'm pretty sure it will all be fine... just double checking though???
 
Not sure if they are reef safe are not. I don't see why you would want sand fleas though. Can they live submerged all the time?
 
Sand Fleas would probably be annoying to the corals. Whenever they do swim they swim spasticly. I dont think they would actually eat the corals though. The snails I think are reef safe but I can not assure you that....
 
I'm pretty sure that the "sand flea" aka mole crab is a filter feeder/ detritivore not sure about the coquina though they are everywhere here too
 
sand fleas (mole crab) +1 i've had some in my tank they're great sand sifters but they will prey on feeder ghost shrimp and small fish if they hang out on the sand.
 
how big were your sand fleas? the biggest ones I found were a lil bigger than a half inch.
 
Just came across your thread here on Sand Fleas/Mole crabs. I'm very curious about keeping some in my Nano to keep the sand bed churned up. I'm actually sitting on the beach in the Outer Banks as we speak. Just caught a bunch with the kids. There are tons of them, big and small. I would want to catch small ones maybe the size of my pinkey nail. I have dips that I use when I add new fish I would definitely dip them in before adding. What do you think?
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new