COR 20 or Vectra M1

Oceanbear1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have been kind of transient the last few years, and not been able to have much in the way of a tank, but my wife and I have now bought a house, and I put in an order for a red sea reefer peninsula 650.

I currently have an apex as well as 2 mp40's and I'm trying to decide between waiting for the COR 20 or just getting the Vectra M1. I value integration, but I'm not sure what would be more important, to have the pump better integrate with my apex, or with my mp40s.

What would you guys do?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely sure what you mean by 'integrating' with the vortech pumps? Do you have a reeflink? If I were in the market for a smart pump now, I'd go with the CoR since I'd like to be able to see it in fusion. I did buy the M1, because when I needed a new pump 18 months ago the CoR had been announced but had not materialized. It will be interesting to see how reliable the CoR is over time.

OP
OP
O

Oceanbear1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely sure what you mean by 'integrating' with the vortech pumps? Do you have a reeflink? If I were in the market for a smart pump now, I'd go with the CoR since I'd like to be able to see it in fusion. I did buy the M1, because when I needed a new pump 18 months ago the CoR had been announced but had not materialized. It will be interesting to see how reliable the CoR is over time.

Don't all the vortech's "speak" to each other? I don't have a reeflink, but I thought that was only necessary to access them through the internet

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can attach two vortech pumps so that one is a slave to the other. Don't think you can do this with the Vectra though; even If you could, not sure how it would be useful though.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the wireless controlled MP40s they canbe controlled through the WXM module...

https://www.neptunesystems.com/vortech-wireless-module-wxm/

(Personally I would ditch the MP40s, I personally don't understand the appeal of a power head that can only be aimed 90 degrees off the glass. Just my opinion.)

Then if you're leaning towards the COR20 you still have a way to control everything from the same location (Fusion).

gonzo256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Vectra L1 powering my display tank and just order the COR-20 as I already have an Apex. I'll let you know in a few weeks what the comparisons are like.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... if the COR is built anything like the Vectra it will have a plastic layer over the stator which is no bueno. I have read many complaints where the Vectra's swell and bind up the impeller. The Royal Exclusive Red Dragon DC pumps also use a Titanium impeller shaft. None of this ceramic stuff covering a stainless rod.

As well you don't have that big ugly power brick that the Ecotech Vectra uses. All electronics are built right in the control box, plus you get German engineering. They are dead silent and run much cooler than a Vectra in or out of the tank.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to make the same decision for my new reefer 750xxl build. I went with the M1. I have Ecotech powerheads, lights and return pump. I personally just like the integration.

That and the fact I was able to purchase all of it in new condition from fellow reefers saving myself at least a grand.

Last edited:

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the COR be plugged into a 1link? It would be nice to not have to deal with the power block and control box

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the Neptune COR 20 and Ecotech M1 have a max GPH of 2000 whereas the Vario S8 has a max GPH of 2700.
What am I missing?

Makes perfect sense why the Varios struggles. Do we know this persons head height? The Varios is 2700GPH at only 18ft, and they usually don't push that with all the restrictions with 90 degree angles and if one adds long Vertical and/or Horizonal runs. All measurements are based on straight up shot from the pump. More than likely he has 90 degree connectors and who knows how long his vertical and horizontal runs are.

The Vectra m1 has a head height at 2000GPH is at 21Feet, which is almost double the head height. So this pump is more likely to push the envelope and hit that max where the Octopus struggles. It may be a cheaper alternative for a DC Pump but there is a reason for it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back