Coral banded shrimp

  • Thread starter Thread starter PaReeferJ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

PaReeferJ

ADDICTED.......
View Badges
Joined
Feb 3, 2016
Messages
425
Reaction score
225
Location
Mechanicsburg, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral banded shrimp that I am looking to get rid of. I have tried to catch him multiple times but he hides in my rock work. I do not want to rip my whole tank apart. Is there any tricks or anything anyone has done to try and catch something????
 
I had a similar issue, i used nets and pipe/tube cleaners to coax him into a corner of my tank and then netted him. The pipe/tube cleaners are useful as you can bend them in and around the rock work. Just use them to poke at the shrimp, the shrimp will get scared and swim away. Just keep moving the pipe/tube cleaners closer and closer forcing him into a corner and then net him. If you find places where the shrimp keeps returning to hide, put a few pipe cleaners directly in the area and the shrimp will avoid going there. It takes some time and practice, took me about an hour. As long as you don't have any hidden spaces where he can avoid the pipe/tube cleaners, it will work. It might stress the shrimp, in which it'll pop off its big front arms, but they grow back.
 
I will give that a shot. I gave up to quickly last time o_O.

Trust me i know the feeling, im sure there are many ways to go about it, they're quick little guys. I had to get rid of mine, ate 2 small fish and started going after the hermits. Rogue CBS.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new