Coral Banded Shrimp

  • Thread starter Thread starter SaltyGal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SaltyGal

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 9, 2011
Messages
23
Reaction score
1
Location
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone -

I am new to this forum. I have a 54 gal corner reef tank with mixed lps and sps. I have a question about the aggressiveness of coral banded shrimp. I have one as well as a cleaner shrimp. They are both about the same size. The cleaner I have had a year now, the coral banded about 5 -6 months.

Over the last two weeks I have lost two fish. One was a pyjami (sp?) cardinal and one that I had for over a year - a dragonet. I cannot understand what could have happened to them except to suspect the coral banded. I also have crabs, but I have had them since the beginning with no problems. I have a maroon clown that is attached to my rose bubble tip anemone, a coral beauty angel, a royal basslet, sail fin tang with no problems of agression that I can see. Because those two fish were the slowest, that is why I am figuring that somebody got to them. Any ideas?? :squigglemouth:
 
Mine is agressive, but only if the fish goes hear him. Also if the fish was healthy he isn't going to catch it very easily. They are more opportunistic than anything else.
 
Certainly aggressive and more so the bigger they get. As stated they are opportunistic, but I have seen them catch healthy fish when the fish were sleeping on the bottom.
 
My guess is the coral banded. I had a large coral banded and I saw it grab my mandarin right out of the water column. By the time I got my hand in there, the damage was done.
 
Also have you noticed any snapping or clicking noises coming from your tank If so you may have a mantis. Listen and see if you hear anything out of the ordinary late at night or see anything. I would suspect a bad hitchhiker before I would suspect a coral banded, they are certainly capable of catching fish but if you feed your tank enough they would much rather wait for an easy meal.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new