Coral Beauty Opinion please...

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling what will be a mixed reef tank. Mostly LPS to start and over time (and patience) SPS and an anemone. My old FOWLR tank has a coral beauty that I have kept for at least 5 years. Grown found of the beauty; but willing to re home if you think he/she will nip and damage corals. Has not seen any LPS or SPS only a few parasitic mushrooms in my FOWLR tank that I wish he would bother...
your opnion please!?!?!

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flame angel that was a perfect citizen in my reef until one day he tried a bit of coral and that was it. He became a coral nipper overnight and I had to re-home. I personally feel it would be worth the risk as you have had the fish forever. If he becomes a nipper you can always trap and re-home at that point. Just keep an eye on it.

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Cherub and had a Coral Beauty for 3years till I moved from a fwolr then to a softie all was fine but when I moved over to a LPS/SPS tank they became random nippers and would nip some to the point of receding. I've since rehomed the CB and I'm now in the process of doing the same for Cherub. I loved these guys but they became to unpredictable once the enviroment change at to high if a cost and time. That's my two cents and experiences in the matter.

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When he was nipping at corals did this mean he ate entire polyps over night? I REALLY want a potters angle and copper band butteryfly but don't have a fowlr set up just incase he starts destroying everything.

I see so many mixed reef tanks with angles, gangs and butterfly fish! I want mine to be model citizens too! haha

sent from my phone.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had to re-home a Coral Beauty that I had for over 2 years. Just one day, he decided he wanted to nip at corals and he never stopped, funny thing is, it's like all the other fish saw him nipping, now I have three other fish that have to go because they are eating coral too.

OP
OP
Z

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW thanks for all your opinions! LOL I have heard so many opinions about this when visiting LFS and speaking with peeps... I guess it can go either way but I have an offer to re home him and I think I will take it. I dont know how good I will be with a fish trap as he is really fast and very shy. I guess I was hoping for some magical reply that if fish has never seen corals and is "middle aged"...LOL... then perhaps he will behave....

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i first started like 13 years ago, i kept a flame and coral beauty in my 75 mixed reef. never bothered anything til one day they both went on a spree eating zoanthids and nipping lps. never again will they be in one of my reefs.

imo an angel of any type including dwarfs will someday start nipping and eating coral

bob

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a coral beauty in my mixed reed forever, then one day it tuned into a coral executioner and went on a rampage. It was one of the hardest fish to catch, it's now in my fuge waiting for someone to take him.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any dwarf angel that I have kept have LOVED eating fleshy LPS, including the coral beauty,

[video=youtube;_-Ma1xsjMTY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Ma1xsjMTY[/video]

OP
OP
Z

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks All! thats why I love this forum and the education and research that is available. For example if you go to DFS and look at 6 line wrasse or orchid dotyback it will say "semi aggressive" for temperament then I look at the thread "worst livestock mistake" and it is full of horror stories of these fish bullying and killing and causing jump suicides of countless fish. Makes me wonder just how aggressive a damsel must be to actually get a "aggressive" category from them...LOL... If you look at a Coral Beauty it will say reef compatible "with caution" yikes!
I still love DFS but ya have to do your homework peeps....

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of these fish can turn on corals at any given time. You just really don't know how they will react. Reef safe doesn't always hold true. But i cheat and have had success and failure.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back