Coral beauty still acting weird.

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
My coral beauty for about a week and a half now has been hiding under the rocks not coming out for anytning even food. She is alive however instead of shoving herself into a crevice she now hovers over the sand and will sometimes look out. My nitrates are at 80 could this be why? I can’t get video or anything like that. I left for a week a couple of weeks ago and found her like this. Hopefully she won’t die.
Thanks
Camden
#fis#fishdoctor @vetteguy53081
@Jay Hemdal

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
My coral beauty for about a week and a half now has been hiding under the rocks not coming out for anytning even food. She is alive however instead of shoving herself into a crevice she now hovers over the sand and will sometimes look out. My nitrates are at 80 could this be why? I can’t get video or anything like that. I left for a week a couple of weeks ago and found her like this. Hopefully she won’t die.
Thanks
Camden
#fis#fishdoctor @vetteguy53081
@Jay Hemdal

That's not a good sign. Could there be another fish in the tank causing it to hide like that?

Nitrates alone would not be a problem.

How was it behaving at the store before you bought it? This is one species that I won't buy unless I see it eat at the store, or unless it was captive raised (rare). The reason why is that these are often caught with cyanide, and that in turn leaves the fish severely damaged internally, and many of those (40 to 60%) will die within the first 40 days of being in captivity.

Oddly - excessive shyness OR excessive boldness can be signs of cyanide poisoning in fish.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a good sign. Could there be another fish in the tank causing it to hide like that?

How was it behaving at the store before you bought it? This is one species that I won't buy unless I see it eat at the store, or unless it was captive raised (rare). The reason why is that these are often caught with cyanide, and that in turn leaves the fish severely damaged internally, and many of those (40 to 60%) will die within the first 40 days of being in captivity.

Oddly - excessive shyness OR excessive boldness can be signs of cyanide poisoning in fish.
I’ve had it with my marble wrasse clownfish gramma for 3 months now. Although I lost a starry blenny and clownfish before she started acting this way clown jumped out starry unknown. All other fish are completely fine not sure If she’s captive bred.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

She has poor eyesigh too she sometimes misses pellets I drop for her. No discoloration what steps should I take?

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was able to get a video of it. Not looking good she decided to come out and it looks like I’m losing another dang fish. Best I can get cause she’s in the only corner with algae. The area around her eyes are turning white.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should work now. She’s breathing normally just turning white could it be brook or velvet just taking a while to show symptoms. This video is not good at all.
YouTube video

Sorry, I can’t tell much from the video. The fish is pale, but doesn’t seem to be breathing too fast. Nothing here seems to rule out cyanide poisoning here, but since there is no test for that, we’ll never know for sure.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can’t tell much from the video. The fish is pale, but doesn’t seem to be breathing too fast. Nothing here seems to rule out cyanide poisoning here, but since there is no test for that, we’ll never know for sure.
Anything I should do?

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also she hasn’t eaten in about a week.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also she hasn’t eaten in about a week.
Yeah - that’s a really bad sign. Sorry, I can’t think of anything you can do for this fish, this sure sounds like classic cyanide toxicity.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - that’s a really bad sign. Sorry, I can’t think of anything you can do for this fish, this sure sounds like classic cyanide toxicity.
How about the other fish? Is it possible for the fish to get the cyanide out of its system? I know it’s extremely poisonous. However this coral beauty was previously owned in a 90 gallon that has a seam bust I bought it from my LFS for a discount. It was in the 90 gallon for 2 years well established.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the other fish? Is it possible for the fish to get the cyanide out of its system? I know it’s extremely poisonous. However this coral beauty was previously owned in a 90 gallon that has a seam bust I bought it from my LFS for a discount. It was in the 90 gallon for 2 years well established.
No, then it is not cyanide, I didn’t know this fish was a long term captive. As I mentioned, cyanide causes mortality within 40 days or so of importation, and this fish seems well past that point.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, then it is not cyanide, I didn’t know this fish was a long term captive. As I mentioned, cyanide causes mortality within 40 days or so of importation, and this fish seems well past that point.
Definitely. If it’s alive today should I take action?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. If it’s alive today should I take action?

I think some action is needed, however, I don't see a clear treatment for you to try....sorry! In a pinch, you could try a 5 minute FW dip (in case this is flukes) but that can prove fatal to a weakened fish.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some action is needed, however, I don't see a clear treatment for you to try....sorry! In a pinch, you could try a 5 minute FW dip (in case this is flukes) but that can prove fatal to a weakened fish.
I can’t dip her she’s in the corner. She’s alive and a little better today although still pale. I’m doing a nitrate test right now, are you sure nitrates at eighty csnt effect a fish that was once in an established 90 gallon?

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwo would I dip her exactly?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t dip her she’s in the corner. She’s alive and a little better today although still pale. I’m doing a nitrate test right now, are you sure nitrates at eighty csnt effect a fish that was once in an established 90 gallon?
Correct - it is not a nitrate issue. That said, nitrate levels often go hand in hand with OTHER water quality problems that cannot be easily tested for. Water changes never hurt (except the cost).
However, if this was a water quality issue that was causing this severe of a problem, you’d see evidence of issues with other animals in the tank.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct - it is not a nitrate issue. That said, nitrate levels often go hand in hand with OTHER water quality problems that cannot be easily tested for. Water changes never hurt (except the cost).
However, if this was a water quality issue that was causing this severe of a problem, you’d see evidence of issues with other animals in the tank.
alright. What products would you recommend for dip? Like the medicine and a specimen container I’m guessing?

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back