Coral beauty with ich and bacteria infection.

Dierker0000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a coral beauty and so he had a small wound and fin rot on the side of him so I started dosing Melafix. No I am noticing some small ich spots on him. What should I do? Melafix says to dose for 7 days everyday and kick ich is the ick medicine I have. Should I finish with Melafix then continue kick ich? Or the other way around? Or combine the two?
I also have a cleaner shrimp so maybe he will take care of the ick for a while. Also should I increase the temp to 80*
Thanks

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any photos? How long have you noticed these symptoms to be active for, and how long have you been trying these treatments?

If you have already been adding medications to the tank and not seen a response additional treatment could cause more stress then its worth to the fish.

In many cases I have found simply creating the healthiest possible environment for the fish, along with feedings has allowed them to use their own immune system to beat any enslaught by illness.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kick ich wont do anything. You can continue melafix (which is basically tea tree oil) or try focus + metroplex fron seachem if you feel like it's a bacterial infection. I agree though, clean water and healthy diet (+ selcon and garlic) go a very long way to curing most ailments.

OP
OP
Dierker0000

Dierker0000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kick ich wont do anything. You can continue melafix (which is basically tea tree oil) or try focus + metroplex fron seachem if you feel like it's a bacterial infection. I agree though, clean water and healthy diet (+ selcon and garlic) go a very long way to curing most ailments.

Yes I’m going to continue melafix for the 7 days and the tempature increase got rid of some of the ick spots off the coral beauty hopefully once I’m done the melafix I can dose kick Ick and catch the ich in its free swimming stage.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back