Coral Boring Spionid Worms- Anybody Killed them?

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're in the worst possible spot. I could maybe get a pair of nippers in there, but taking the rock out is also just simply a non-starter. It's the entire main arch lol. Pictures much easier to see. Enhance!:

IMG_2128(1).JPG

IMG_2127(2).JPG

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're in the worst possible spot. I could maybe get a pair of nippers in there, but taking the rock out is also just simply a non-starter. It's the entire main arch lol. Pictures much easier to see. Enhance!:

IMG_2128(1).JPG

IMG_2127(2).JPG
Are you saying you have spionids coming out of your rock? And not your coral?

First, I'd be curious if that's even spoinids. Perhaps I missed that you're talking about vermited's...

But in your case a nice big glob of 2 part putty over the area will suffocate them out.

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First, I'd be curious if that's even spoinids. Perhaps I missed that you're talking about vermited's...

But in your case a nice big glob of 2 part putty over the area will suffocate them out.
Proof is in the pictures! I am indeed saying spinoids are coming out of the rock - look at the photos, those two antenna sticking out are 100% undeniably rock/coral boring spinoid worms. There are actually 8 antenna total in the "zoomed in" photo, 4 separate worms sticking out all right next to each other.

Putty/glue does not work to suffocate them, they simply retreat into their tubes and dig a new hole. This is the same reason why the method doesn't work when dealing with them on corals.

fendanto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Boring spionids primarily live on rock or bivalve/mollusc shells. Colonizing stony corals is actually less common to see even in the wild. They don’t really care though. Substrate is substrate. And epoxy putty won’t do a thing. They will simply burrow their way out. Either by mechanical or chemical means. If they can bore through mollusc shells, they can definitely make their way through partially cured epoxy putty. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proof is in the pictures! I am indeed saying spinoids are coming out of the rock - look at the photos, those two antenna sticking out are 100% undeniably rock/coral boring spinoid worms. There are actually 8 antenna total in the "zoomed in" photo, 4 separate worms sticking out all right next to each other.

Putty/glue does not work to suffocate them, they simply retreat into their tubes and dig a new hole. This is the same reason why the method doesn't work when dealing with them on corals.
You have such a small tank that it would take very little effort to eradicate that patch.

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have such a small tank that it would take very little effort to eradicate that patch.
....did you not read either of the replies after your post? What method would you suggest to eradicate them, supposedly with very little effort?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....did you not read either of the replies after your post? What method would you suggest to eradicate them, supposedly with very little effort?
Have you not heard of moonshiners exodus dip?

These are from a rock that was infested with spoinids.

30 minutes after dip:
38396 (1).jpeg

60 minutes after:
38398 (1).jpeg

90 minutes after:
38401 (1).jpeg

Roughly 35 spionid worms pulled,

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if you read through this thread it discusses Exodus and its failure to dislodge these worms. Pages 2, 3, and 4 all talk about it working on some but not others.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if you read through this thread it discusses Exodus and its failure to dislodge these worms. Pages 2, 3, and 4 all talk about it working on some but not others.
You have to manually pull the worms out.

But at the same time, your tank is so tiny that you can remove that rock, throw it away and put another rock in its place.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should take a look at this thread as well.

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should take a look at this thread as well.

I used Ivermectin on my LPS. No issues with that. The dosage is in this thread as well. My hammer and acan are still going strong and growing.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed these guys in a speciosa frag that has done nothing for years, did not take any before and after pictures but looks like dip was a success as of yesterday for spionid worms specifically. I also tried it on a master chalice frag with a random feather duster type worm, surprisingly did not seem to effect that worm. Chalice didn't care either thankfully.

Both dipped in 9drops (20 gauge syringe) per 500ml for 60 minutes

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed these guys in a speciosa frag that has done nothing for years, did not take any before and after pictures but looks like dip was a success as of yesterday for spionid worms specifically. I also tried it on a master chalice frag with a random feather duster type worm, surprisingly did not seem to effect that worm. Chalice didn't care either thankfully.

Both dipped in 9drops (20 gauge syringe) per 500ml for 60 minutes
So about 1/2ml or 1ml per liter or 1ml per quart.
How are things today?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back