View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting these corals today:

Hammer Coral
Bubble Gum Montipora
Vargas Cesoitularia

How to use Bayer dip? Is it safe for all corals? I know its toxic to humans so should wear gloves. Do you cut off frag plugs right away? I also think have Coral revive.

Placement of corals?

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is me but maybe the experts will chime in. I do about 4 cups of tank water and I pour the bayer in until it gets cloudy/milky then drop the coral in for 5 to 10 mins. Had no issues yet with coral. I take the frag off the plug if I can and glue onto a new one. I put them in a frag rack for about a week until I figure out where I want them and montior them. Within that week I dip in hydrogen peroxide for any algae.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to put the frags in my dipping container with 1 liter of tank water (i use a cheap Publix version of these containers Container).

Then cut off plugs and anything problematic.

Then add the bayer to the dipping container until it’s pretty cloudy (just barely able to see the frags). Dip for 10-30 minutes (just make sure your dipping container doesn’t get too cold)

Then use other dipping containers with 1 liter of water in each to perform the first rinse. I also like to add a little bit of betadine (until it’s a very light tea color). Do not leave in betadine for more than 10 minutes (I usually go about 7-8 minutes)

Then I use a third container to do the last rinse with tank water. At this time I would super glue and epoxy frags on to all new plugs and superglue over any exposed skeleton of the frags, spray with a little superglue accelerator, rinse again in same container and then to the tank.

@ReefStable has a great write up about the bayer dip

ReefStable Dip Guide

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dilute Bayer to a milky white shade and dip for about 5 min, move it to another container with tank water for another 5 minutes then to a 3rd container with just tank water for a few minutes until I'm ready to remount it on my own plug.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also be carful as ther are many different versions of Bayer that use the same style bottle.

This is what I use, It was in stock at my local Home Depot.

IMG_5097.jpeg
IMG_5098.jpeg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used bayer for many years and I think it works well. For the past couple of years I’ve used KCl dips. I think KCl dips are still good but easier IME. There are a lot of threads on KCl dips if you search.

For both, cutting off the plug is important. That’s where a lot of the eggs are. Good luck.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As for placement, It’s hard to say anything concrete without knowing your lighting set up and par.
But generally:
Monti is good to stick closer to the top of your tank.
Cespitularia Mid height to sand bed.
Hammer Mid height to sand bed, the hammer is probably the most finicky so I like to start a little lower and move it up slowly.

You may be able to do some research on reef2reef and see what others tested for par with your light. And get a general idea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back