Coral box QP-9 best setting

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow can be an long process and each reef is different depending on the scape.

I'd just take it slow and see what makes your sps happy.

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's difficult to say what's best, but I personally observe tiny floating dust or detritus to see if there's sufficient flow and no dead spot. I can't technically measure the flow rate, but the dust flow gives you a better chance to tune it.

I personally use QP-16. Out of my experience with MP40 and Tunze 6095, I liked QP-16 the best. Moves a lot of water and the quietest. I also have one on each end, one near the back glass and the other near the front glass so that the flow is circular. I experimented many configuration, and figured circular flow is the best if you want to achieve nice flow rate. If the flows from both sides crashing at the center, a part of the flow basically returns back to the same side, meaning such a flow is no longer fresh (this is just my guess, though!). Acros on the side has to be exposed to the same flow that they have once consumed a bit. But with circular flow, when it turns back to the same place, some portion is gone to the sump and it's mixed with fresh returning water from the sump. You can also observe that there is no stagnant protein on the water surface if your water movement is circular.

I'm not a chemist or biologist and I am not certain if my assumption is right. And, like many says, there is no such thing as a perfect answer. Many people are probably successful with many different ways. But my acros look like they like it.

Yas

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no best. Each tank is different, aquascapes very, coral types and size, personal preference, type of substrate on the bottom of the tank. Play around with the different modes and speeds and find what you and your tank likes. I have had my 75g w/ 2 Jeboa PP-8 pumps going for close to 2 months amd I am still playing with the settings and modes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back