coral crash course

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone give me some advice for softies, i have gsp and parazoanthus. the latter might be burning (turning white) and i dunno where to place it. its in a very dark area rn. my gsp is doing ok just having a bit of nusiance algae on it. i have a 20 long 5 fish (it works well) weekly 25% wc <20 nitrates 0 amonia 0 nitrite, idk calc alk mag or phos but i assume they are safe because m yfish and inverts are well. i wanna make my corals healthier and get growth and full polyp extension

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone give me some advice for softies, i have gsp and parazoanthus. the latter might be burning (turning white) and i dunno where to place it. its in a very dark area rn. my gsp is doing ok just having a bit of nusiance algae on it. i have a 20 long 5 fish (it works well) weekly 25% wc <20 nitrates 0 amonia 0 nitrite, idk calc alk mag or phos but i assume they are safe because m yfish and inverts are well. i wanna make my corals healthier and get growth and full polyp extension
My advice for corals is get test kits so you know your parameters for calc alk mag or phos - corals it matters. Fish and inverts those parameters don't matter so much.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did do a test at my lfs and they didnt say anything off abt them. i only asked for nitrate nitrite and ammonia but they did phos and stuff too i think. i am gonna do lawns soon ( saturday) so i will get 20$ more (40$) any idea what to buy

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did do a test at my lfs and they didnt say anything off abt them. i only asked for nitrate nitrite and ammonia but they did phos and stuff too i think. i am gonna do lawns soon ( saturday) so i will get 20$ more (40$) any idea what to buy
calcium test kit

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank still cycling? With 5 fish I'd assume it should be cycled. If so you really don't need to test for ammonia or nitrite again. The most important test IMO besides salinity and temp is alkalinity. But cal, mag, nitrate, and phosphate are the others that I test regularly. It's hard to know what's going on with your tank if you can't regularly test for those parameters. If you start adding stony corals and get to where you need to start dosing it's important to check alk, cal, and mag (mostly alkalinity though) regularly at the beginning.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main source to check params for coral is alk
And cal i would use hanna for both of them

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where should i place my corals? light/flow and things for ideal polyp expansion. also i have black green stuff growing in the very dark parts of my tank, idk what kind it is

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where should i place my corals? light/flow and things for ideal polyp expansion. also i have black green stuff growing in the very dark parts of my tank, idk what kind it is
If you post a tank pic that would help decide placement. Neither of those corals need a lot of light or flow though so they should really do fine anywhere as long as it isn’t a dead spot

Back