Coral die off

MeesePolice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am new to forms so I hope I put this in the right place. I recently had a sudden and large die off on multiple different types of coral from soft to sps including:

Zoas
Lepto
Montipora
Pulsing xenia
Birdsnest

However some coral wasn't affected at all such as

Mushrooms (which have exploded)
Palys (have exploded as well)
Cyphastrea (currently having tissue necrosis)

This is a relatively new system which has been running for around 8 months I used water from another system as well as some live rocks from the same system to cycle it.

Around the same time I had a large GHA outbreak which I believe was because of the dying coral. However the reason I am making this post is because i cant find anything wrong with my parameters, I am hoping someone can tell me the issue or where to look.

Ph 8.2
N02 nitrite 0
N03 nitate 2-5
Ammonia 0
Alk 10 dKh
Ca 430
Temp 77F
Salinity 1.025

Unfortunately these are all the tests I can perform but I think I have the important ones, I should also note that I use well water that has previously been used in other reef tanks with no issues

Last edited:

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a test on my well water through the county before I started my own RODI system and the silicates, copper, Fe and phosphates were very high.
After a in line carbon block and a hybridized RODI, water test says I am clean for all but silicates - still trying to crack that, but sponges don't want me to.
TDF's and 0 to 1
that said, I still have mysterious Monti cap coloration and resession issues .

So please check your well water, could be an inconsistent problem with your salt mix. See if your local reef shop sell RODI but that will not be the only answer...

OP
OP
M

MeesePolice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about anything like Seachem Prime to remove chlorine? If not, I would probably start by looking at your water source.
Shouldn't have chlorine in my well I use softening salts but I take my water before it gets to that system

OP
OP
M

MeesePolice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a test on my well water through the county before I started my own RODI system and the silicates, copper, Fe and phosphates were very high.
After a in line carbon block and a hybridized RODI, water test says I am clean for all but silicates - still trying to crack that, but sponges don't want me to.
TDF's and 0 to 1
that said, I still have mysterious Monti cap coloration and resession issues .

So please check your well water, could be an inconsistent problem with your salt mix. See if your local reef shop sell RODI but that will not be the only answer...
I think I have my old RODI system lying around it will need new resin but ill try and get it running

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have my old RODI system lying around it will need new resin but ill try and get it running
a new, or well refurbished RODI is much less painful than loosing corals you have taken under care, not to mention cheaper.
Are you dosing? didn't see it in the description - I find a Kamoer pump and powdered All for reef to be an extremely simple and cost effective way to get the tank stable - ease into it and then find the right level

OP
OP
M

MeesePolice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a new, or well refurbished RODI is much less painful than loosing corals you have taken under care, not to mention cheaper.
Are you dosing? didn't see it in the description - I find a Kamoer pump and powdered All for reef to be an extremely simple and cost effective way to get the tank stable - ease into it and then find the right level

I have been relying on weekly water changes to keep my parameters stable, i have a bubble magus t01 doser but i haven't seen the need for it as my corals weren't taking up enough elements yet

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What about anything like Seachem Prime to remove chlorine? If not, I would probably start by looking at your water source.
well water does not have chlorine

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No I do not
What test kits are you using? If API, you may be getting false readings.
Also- How are you acclimating the coral ?

I agree with others in that - you need and want to acquire an rodi unit

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back